• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rifle at the ready

My Grandfather kept a Marlin bolt action 22mag on felt covered nails over his bedroom door. He kept the clip of ammo in his pocket. He was a sharp shooter in WWII. He took care of what ever needed to be done with that rifle. He lived in a house built in the 1800s on a 40ac. farm. Didn't even have a bathroom in the house until @1980. And yes his rifle got stolen once, but it was a Marlin. Easily replaced

Best gun display case, ever

7EC9CFBF-AB49-44CC-966F-67ED6D4CBDA2.jpeg

My Grandfather kept a Marlin bolt action 22mag on felt covered nails over his bedroom door. He kept the clip of ammo in his pocket. He was a sharp shooter in WWII. He took care of what ever needed to be done with that rifle. He lived in a house built in the 1800s on a 40ac. farm. Didn't even have a bathroom in the house until @1980. And yes his rifle got stolen once, but it was a Marlin. Easily replaced
What use to be My grandfathers land is now my uncle's. He lives on the other Mountain facing the main property mountain. The main property adjacent to my uncle's place still has the old house on it. It didn't have bathroom in it untill they late 80's as well. He kept a Colt six gun on his nightstand and a double barrel side by side 12 guage proper up in the corner of the front door. Also had a 30-30 in the rack of his truck. That's where I learned a lot of my gun safety rules at was when we went to visit him. He would smack a kink in your neck if you touched them. When I was old enough ( about 10 ) he use let me go out to the side and shoot them. That's where my love of lever guns was developed. Also six shooters as well. He use to run shine and didn't trust banks so self security was priority one. He never got anything stolen off his property. As far as anybody else was concerned he was the meanest man on the mountain and you didn't dare try to get on his property.

I had mention this in a previous text but it would be a perfect defense location for SHTF time. There is one entrance to the property. It was above the tree line along the creek. You have to drive down a steep hill down to the creek level. Vehicles going that slow are an excellent target. Once you get to creek level young have ,100 yards of pasture to cross. Again vehicle coming towards you. Another excellent target. When you slow down to go through the creek the vehicle had to slow more shot opportunity. After going through the creek there is another 100 yards of pasture coming directly towards you for optimum shot opportunities.
As can tell nobody had the balls to try that gauntlet of hell fire from above. The house is placed on the mountain overlooking all these advantages. Ingenious set up for defense.

Interesting read. As I read it I figured it wasn't in this state. Then I saw you were from Virginia. That's some pretty country up there. The 40ac farm my granfather lived on was subdivided into 5-6ac lots. They kept the entrance road that divided the property and from where the house used to sit you had a long view of people coming in almost as soon as you entered the property line. The old hardwood that stood out in front of the house was still there the last time I was there. Propbably in the last 10yrs. That tree truck is about as wide as a car with the large root system running along the top of the ground. The old barn was still there, but the roof had caved in. Just a pile of old rotting lumber at that point.

I 3D printed a couple of similar AR15 magwell rifle holders. They have a horizontal recess that captures the mag catch, so you have to press the mag release to lift the rifle off the holder. They work really well for displaying rifles.

Back
Top Bottom