Reloading questions???

MGill

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
3   0
Reaction score
Ok so I am pretty certain Santa Clause brought me a RCBS Rock Chucker kit for Christmas. But as I am sitting at work looking through the Cabela's shooting catalog at various presses. It strikes me that of all available models LEE presses at significantly cheaper than any other brand. I mean I can get a fully tricked out progressive LEE press for close to the same price as a standard single stage RCBS. I am somewhat new to reloading brass. And it doesn't make sense to me. So here is my question. Are LEE presses garbage? Are RCBS an Hornady that much better? What's the deal here? I'm sure some of you guys who have been reloading for years know the answer to these questions, please enlighten me. If the LEE presses aren't trash I may pick up one of the progressive models that Cabela's has. Like I said I am new to owning my own stuff. I don't plan on turning out thousands of rounds at a time and I only plan on reloading a few calibers. Mostly .40S&amp;W, 9mm, 10mm, 45LC, 45ACP, 7mm, .270, and .223. Would it be worth it to pick up a second press? Thanks in advance for your replies. Y'all have a Merry Christmas.

I wondered the same thing about Lee, read the reviews did some research and bought a Lee turret press kit.

Once set up for the dies you are using, it does a good job and can make ammo quicker than the single stage.
I do not use the powder scale that came with the kit, got a digital. The auto powder measure can be a bit tedious to set up, but seems to be consistent, I check quite often anyway.
Using lee dies too which work OK, can't compare to others but no reason to at this point. I did get stung a bit early by a very hard primer and having my decapper too tight.
There are a bunch of knowledgable loaders on here and they like to help, they have helped me without reservation. There are also some good videos(and some bad ones ) on u tube.

Progressives are great for pistol or general hunting rifle ammo. For the most accurate rifle ammo stick to a single stage, better control or round quality and consistancy. I cannot speak to the quality of the Lee Progressive kits. However everything I have ever gotten from Lee has been perfect and cheaper than the High end guys. Not saying there is anything bad with the Blue,Red,Green & Orange stuff just $$$.
I have a Dillon rl550b and there is alot I like about it and some I don't. From what I have seen and read none of the fully automated systems work as advertised without some afro...sorry (presidential solutions).
If you are new to reloading, I would suggest using your hard earned money to buy a Lee single stage kit like the Anniversary kit. Buy the dies you need to load your calibers, and buy at least two reloading manuals.
Read all you can on the proper methods, case preperation,inspection etc. Get a good set of dial calipers and enjoy the ride.
I load .308 .338 Lapua, I have the stuff to reload .45 but as of yet I have refrained.
Here are some pics of my Dillon and the bench I built.
i49.tinypic.com_33w5f2u.jpg

i48.tinypic.com_8wawlc.jpg

i47.tinypic.com_j8oc54.jpg

Also get a stuck case remover. Sooner or later you will have it happen and it sucks when it does. I have Lee, RCBS, and Lyman dies all work very well so far. Then again I have only been reloading for about a year. Long enough to become "comfortable" with it.

Lee seems to be one case where inexpensive doesn't mean cheap. I have a single stage now and when I do end up with a progressive, Lee is going to be top of the list.

I have a lee turret and works very well. Unless your loading thousands of rounds at a time that will probabley suit your needs just fine. As recommended, get the stuck case remove, I've had a few and they stink

You can always use a good single stage press. You will always have a need for one.

In my opinion the Lee Classic Cast presses are superior to today's RCBS presses. That aside,
I strongly recommend that folks stay away from any brand progressive press until you have a very strong
understanding and working knowledge of the separate loading processes.

Congrats on the press kit. You'll really enjoy the learning experience and the benefits and rewards of handloading.
Ho Ho Ho!

Stick with the single stage. , your gonna need it. Later on if you really get into reloading you will probably get another press. Single is so much more precise ( less stuff moving around the better) especially with precision hand loads. There is just too much going on in the turret that you need to check re check and check again when your starting out. I can actually load about the same speed on my single RCBS as I can on the lee classic turret. Anyways it is a very fulfilling hobby and will keep you busy. I hope you get that chucker. It will last a lifetime Merry Christmas !!

I have a Classic Cast Turret that I use as a single stage. I don't use the auto advance feature. I also have a Classic
Cast single stage.

Both are excellent performers. The turret is very convenient. I leave my dies setup in their own turret and in just a second I'm all set up to load another caliber.

I would be completely satisfied with either one alone, but it's great having both.

Back
Top Bottom