• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Reloading for Glocks.....

jcountry

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
I am pretty new to reloading. I am gonna kick off by reloading 9mm for my Glocks. I have read all sorts of stuff about "unsupported chambers" and the need to use a "bulge buster" on Glocks. My brass comes out of my 9mm and .45 looking just fine.

I am kinda wondering what experiences y'all have in this area. Any troubles when reloading for Glocks? Did you just stick with factory barrels or go for a Lone Wolf. (I am not messing around with cast bullets-only copper jacketed for my Glocks.)
Thanks

The 9mm is a tapered case and the bulge buster will not work with the Lee FCD. I think Ramroddoc had said something about a modified makarov die being used for this and it makes sense because the makarov is a little bigger than the 9mm so as not to remove the taper only remove anything larger than the taper. A far a glocks chambers, I don't worry about it too much. 9mm brass is cheap and I rarely load max loadings. Same with 45ACP, I rarely ever load hot and my brass runs a long time. On my PD loads I do use the bulge buster. On target loads I use the BB every other time, just cause it's easy to do and makes me feel better. If your not loading cast I would just keep the factory barrel. I have a Storm Lake Conversion(9mm) for my G22 and I like it and it is fairly accurate. Plus I ain't afraid to shoot cast in it.

You don't really have to worry about bulges too much with 9mm and 45acp. If you have some concerns, check your reloads against the chamber of you barrel.

If you want to prevent the issue, get a U-die and chamber checker from EGW ( http://www.egwguns.com ). The U-die slightly undersizes and goes further down the case. This die replaces your current sizing die so there isn't an extra step. The chamber checker is a good indicator of whether the round will chamber properly (if it passes the chamber checker, it will chamber in any 9mm Luger).

Thanks for all the help!

I was just getting worried when I saw that ,40 brass my cousin had. I bet they are reloads. (He shoots a lot of stuff from his buddy who reloads "hot" ). Seems to me that a "hot" .40 load and brass that comes out looking like Buddha ain't a good combo-but I ain't the one shooting it.

For what it's worth, I've loaded and shot thousands of rounds through my G34 and G17 with no problems. I'm not doing anything special to size the brass either. I used to load on a RCBS JR2 with RCBS dies and now I'm using a Dillon 550RL with Dillon dies.

I have loaded and shot many many many rounds from my 9mm and 45 glocks. Mid load plinkers and max SD loads. Plated, FMJ, Lead (yes lead), and JHP with no issues what so ever. Also using Lee dies and press.

The Glock barrels have a generous and forgiving chamber. They will feed almost anything.

The after market barrels have tighter chambers and can be more finicky. I have had Lone Wolf, Storm Lake, and KKM. They have all been tougher to load for than the Glock barrel. But, sticking with jacketed bullets will eliminate most of the potential reliability problems with any barrel.

Lots of people will say not to shoot lead in a Glock, and they tend to get down right unfriendly if you don't agree.

My findings and opinions after reloading and shooting Glocks for many years:

The manual says not to shoot reloads. I have never found it to say not to shoot lead. But, lead bullets usually don't shoot well in the Glock. The barrel's faster rate of twist, type of rifling, and the barrel finish all combine to tear all but the hardest lead bullets apart and leave a mess to scrape out.

I shoot FMJ out of my glock 19 gen 4 with no issues. I use a COL of 1.150 over 4.4gr of Bullseye for 115gr or 4.8gr of Unique for 124gr, both from the hornady cartridge reloading ninth edition. I do use the Lee factory crimp die in a separate step.

Back
Top Bottom