recommendation for a scope

If that is your budget, you're better off with an aperture sight rear/ fiber optic front sight set-up.. The only advantage the scope would have would be in low light. A $100 scope will not do for low light.

Never use see-through mounts. They are not reliable.

Aren't you forgetting the advantage of magnification of the target? That's the primary benefit of a scope, after all. Also, an aperture rear sight seriously reduces light transmission. It will reduce shooting time by about 15 minutes from even the cheapest scope.

Thanks guys. As fa as Nikon is concerned it looks like the closest to that budget is the Nikon ProStaff Rimfire 3-9x40mm.
Online they run for $149.

Thanks guys. As fa as Nikon is concerned it looks like the closest to that budget is the Nikon ProStaff Rimfire 3-9x40mm.
Online they run for $149.
you don't need a 3X9 on a 30-30 you may want one but don't need one

and really that is what matters...lol

but a good fixed power is the way to go a 4x or even a 6x is what I have always put on mine..

If that is your budget, you're better off with an aperture sight rear/ fiber optic front sight set-up.. The only advantage the scope would have would be in low light. A $100 scope will not do for low light.

Never use see-through mounts. They are not reliable.

I had an old Redfield 2x7 on my BAR for 25 years with see through mounts and it never budged. Just changed it out last year and put a 3x9 on my rifle but that old set up was beyond reliable for 200 yards and closer. I never adjusted it one time in 25 years, and I hunted hard most of those years.

The Nikon prostaff is bad ass.
I've got one on my marlin .308 MXLR in 3-9x40.

I've always used 3-9x40 Leupolds or Nikon.

I take anywhere from 20-100 yard shots for deer and the 40mm objective really brings in the light during early dusk and dawn when the deer are prone to move and it's nice having the extra magnification when they are 100 yards away, stopped dead in a shadow in which they could disappear if you blink.

I personally would not like the see through sights unless I had a deer right under my tree when a scope is a hindrance but that is not a big issue so the closer you keep your scope to your barrel the better.

Not a very comfortable shot with a high mounted scope and your chin on top of your stock instead of your cheek nice and snug like it should be.
Keep that puppy down low, you won't regret it.
Get yourself a DNZ game reaper, low mount for a marlin 336 from amazon which is a very nice scope mount set up.

I have one marlin 30-30 that will stay fixed irons only that I use when I'm in super tight woods stocking bucks.

Here's the leupold 3-9x40 VXII on a marlin .444 XLR with DNZ game reaper mount.

i37.photobucket.com_albums_e53_clownzilla_1d31da9e74c3f6759f3ec10348695560_zpse63b6328.jpg

Last edited:
I am trying to keep up with all the suggestions. Thank you!
One question regarding deer hunting. Do you do it only from tree stands???

Try looking at the www.sportsmanguide.com, BSA, PENTAX,etc.................
Interesting thanks. Mixed reviews about Pentax but good ones about the Barska® Black Hawk 3 - 9 x 40 mm Tactical Scope. On sale at $39 after shipping! I may try that. If it doesn't work I can always put on my CX4 :cool-new:.

Horse apples.
I could not find any e-store that sells them :D

Back
Top Bottom