recommendation for a scope

Buck119

Default rank <4500 posts
Beretta Aficionado
220   0
Reaction score
Maybe this should have been posted in 'firearms chat' but I prefer suggestions from hunters.
I have just got a Marlin 30/30 and I want to instal a scope with see-thru rings. What is the best scope I can buy for under $100. 150-200 yards max.

I do not know much about scopes in that range. Maybe a Nikon or Vortex, but not sure. You can go to www.opticsplanet.com and look around.

FYI - The rings are separate, so you can put any scope on see through rings... Good Luck

Wal-Mart is your friend. Any scope in this price range will not have very good light gathering ability, the glass will not be very good and you need to be very sure that the internals have not let go. With all that said, just about any scope is better than iron sights and in my younger days I killed a lot of deer using scopes that cost around 30 bucks.

One thing, rather than see through rings, get a variable scope with a very low power (1.5 or 2x to 4 or 5x) and mount it low on the rifle. If you mount a scope as high as needed for see through rings it becomes much more difficult to use the scope. Whereas, with the scope mounted low and set at a low power it is easier to use the scope than iron sights for fast shots. It takes a little practice, but not as much as it would to become proficient with the irons in the same circumstances.

In that price range, my choice would be a Nikon.

Don't ever look through a $1000 scope. You will never appreciate less expensive ones again. I know it sounds like snooty BS, but the difference is truly astounding.

That being said, I don't own a $1000 scope.

In that price range, my choice would be a Nikon.

Don't ever look through a $1000 scope. You will never appreciate less expensive ones again. I know it sounds like snooty BS, but the difference is truly astounding.

That being said, I don't own a $1000 scope.

And don't even enter a room where there is a Nightforce. LOL! Scopes really are one of those situations where you get what you pay for, but a cheapy will still get the job done.

And don't even enter a room where there is a Nightforce. LOL! Scopes really are one of those situations where you get what you pay for, but a cheapy will still get the job done.

Yep. A $100 scope by a reputable maker is like a Honda Accord. A $1000 scope is like a Porsche. A Nightforce is like a Pagani.

I have several Simmons ATEC scopes they have always preformed as needed.. I have also owned many high end scopes, while it is true you get what you pay for most folks won't know the diff on a hunting rig..

On a 30-30 I would go with a good fixed 4x or 1.5X5 variable..

If that is your budget, you're better off with an aperture sight rear/ fiber optic front sight set-up.. The only advantage the scope would have would be in low light. A $100 scope will not do for low light.

Never use see-through mounts. They are not reliable.

Back
Top Bottom