recommend a powder for 125gr lead RN 9mm?

SpeedyR

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
125   0
Reaction score
working up a load for a glock 22 w/ a 9mm conversion barrel. thought I'd see if anyone has something that is a favorite powder for lead round nose bullets of the 125gr variety...

I started to work some up with an old can of AA #7 but just not happy with the results. will take it to the range again probably tomorrow and see if I like it any better but just thought I'd see if anyone has something they like that's similar. I have some Unique around and may load up a batch or two of that, but wouldn't mind trying something new (heard Solo1000, HP38/296, etc).

Man I have not loaded 125 grain cast since 1989 and that was with bullseye. However I'm strongly considering reloading some 125 grainers soon and will be watching this thread SpeedyR. What about the AA#7 failed to work well for you?

I basically run Universal and Longshot in 9mm now. I load both cast and jacketed 115-147 using either. The Longshot delivers top performance without a doubt, but Universal is my hands down overall favorite handgun powder.

The Accurate and Winchester brand powders are sometimes harder to find locally, so I use mostly Hodgdon powders now for all my handgun needs.

I don't do 125GR RNL, but I do LOVE the Plated 124-125 variety over 4.3 GR of Universal
Here's some data I have for RNL (Usual Precautions are to be taken with any loading data!)

http://www.reloadammo.com/9mloads.htm

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/d...&Weight=125&type=Handgun&Order=Powder&Source=

While I didn't go through all of the data presented, I have read, and also found that 9mm's tend to really like Tightgroup

Let us know what you find ... and
Also, let us know all about the projectiles that you are using, because lead hardness, diameter, and lube used are all
important factors in loading cast bullets ... any of these factors can have a significant effect on performance

I am currently working up the same loads but I'm using Power Pistol. 125gn cast out of a Lee mold using Lee alox tumble lube.

Back
Top Bottom