• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RC Airplanes and Helicopters too

I spent a year on a computer simulator before I flew my first model. I can fly both helis and airplanes very well. I've had a few hard landings that caused damge but I've never lost a model.

Here's Mac Hodges having a really bad day with one of his huge B29s. Keep in mind that this model had a 20 foot wing.

Here ya go (action starts around 4:10):

That is all skill there, unbelievable!! I’ve only tried controlling them on a flight simulator and it’s tough. Never wanted to buy a real one because I figured it would be smashed in 10 seconds and now the drones are a breeze to fly.

Holy crapoli Batman that's some kind of flying. I'd like to see a video of his hands while he his cutting up with the heli. So good it makes me wonder if the video had been sped up. (I know. I know, there's one in every crowd :rolleyes2:).

Been flying anything that is RC, for over 35 years. My son, who is 32, started flying at 10 years old, and got really good, fast. At one point, he had sponsors, and we traveled all over the Southeast, pulling an enclosed trailers, with thousands of dollars worth of "toy" airplanes. He still flys a lot, but I only go to a few fly-ins a year now. It really is a lot of fun, until a five thousand dollar airplane meets the ground.

I have to admit I'm amazed and envious too at the ads for RC planes and bits and pieces. I flew a pretty good sized line controlled model airplane when I was stationed in the Philippines in 1972-1973. RC planes were way in the future then.

I had a blast hanging on and twirling around as that plane (wing span a little over 4 feet about about 4 1/2 feet long) with an engine where I hooked up the battery and had a chicken stick to spin the propeller. I had many happy flights with that plane until one of the control lines broke and put her into a loop de loop and I finally just had to let go and watch her crash into the ground.

I built one other plane after that one and after she was built and painted and ready for her maiden flight, the engine spit fuel back and she lit up and was ashes in just a few seconds. That was the end of the hobby for me.

I followed the development of RC planes and jets and even unthethered copters for the next 10 or so years but they were always too expensive for a SSgt/TSgt/Msgt pay.

I enjoy getting out and watching when someone is flying. I will always be amazed at has far the hobby has come in a little less than 50 years. My hat is off to the pilots flying those things now.
You can get a quadcopter(drone, but that’s like calling a magazine a clip🙄) for $15ish delivered and it will give you lots of fun and not hard to fly at all. They actually fly at a decent speed too if you want to spend $50 and up.

Need some info. Fiance has this plane. Aeroworks 37% Extra 330L radio cases ect. She would like to part with it all at a great deal for someone into this cool hobby. Any ideas about what she should ask for it and where/who would be interested? Im pretty sure she would let it go super cheap. Have a load of pics I will add in a bit. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom