• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

RC Airplanes and Helicopters too

Klif

Air Force Icon Supporter
ODT Junkie!
31   0
Reaction score
I have to admit I'm amazed and envious too at the ads for RC planes and bits and pieces. I flew a pretty good sized line controlled model airplane when I was stationed in the Philippines in 1972-1973. RC planes were way in the future then.

I had a blast hanging on and twirling around as that plane (wing span a little over 4 feet about about 4 1/2 feet long) with an engine where I hooked up the battery and had a chicken stick to spin the propeller. I had many happy flights with that plane until one of the control lines broke and put her into a loop de loop and I finally just had to let go and watch her crash into the ground.

I built one other plane after that one and after she was built and painted and ready for her maiden flight, the engine spit fuel back and she lit up and was ashes in just a few seconds. That was the end of the hobby for me.

I followed the development of RC planes and jets and even unthethered copters for the next 10 or so years but they were always too expensive for a SSgt/TSgt/Msgt pay.

I enjoy getting out and watching when someone is flying. I will always be amazed at has far the hobby has come in a little less than 50 years. My hat is off to the pilots flying those things now.

I have to admit I'm amazed and envious too at the ads for RC planes and bits and pieces. I flew a pretty good sized line controlled model airplane when I was stationed in the Philippines in 1972-1973. RC planes were way in the future then.

I had a blast hanging on and twirling around as that plane (wing span a little over 4 feet about about 4 1/2 feet long) with an engine where I hooked up the battery and had a chicken stick to spin the propeller. I had many happy flights with that plane until one of the control lines broke and put her into a loop de loop and I finally just had to let go and watch her crash into the ground.

I built one other plane after that one and after she was built and painted and ready for her maiden flight, the engine spit fuel back and she lit up and was ashes in just a few seconds. That was the end of the hobby for me.

I followed the development of RC planes and jets and even unthethered copters for the next 10 or so years but they were always too expensive for a SSgt/TSgt/Msgt pay.

I enjoy getting out and watching when someone is flying. I will always be amazed at has far the hobby has come in a little less than 50 years. My hat is off to the pilots flying those things now.
and have not gotten any cheaper ............ I have seen video of $5,000 + dollar planes destroyed 30 seconds after take-off ..................

Holy crap !!
Wow, that was some seriously fancy flying, especailly that low to the ground. He'd be run off most club fields for flying like that and that looked to be a pretty expensive copter to be cutting up like that. I'm still very impressed with his skill.

Buy a drone. They're a blast.

Photo_1080295433_DJI_9_jpg_6285777_0_2021329171910_photo_original.jpg
20210323_154008.jpg

I built a few and fooled with them in my twenties but that’s been a long time ago Was a lot of fun. I wasn’t ever real good cause I didn’t like crashing. The only way to learn for me was with someone who already knew how

I really like the eflite and hobbyzone ultramicro models. They are relatively cheap in that for around $100 bucks you get one with a controller, they are quiet, fun, and still a challenge to fly. Batteries are cheap and last 8-10 minutes on most of them. Some of the more advanced ones can set you back a couple hundred bucks, but most crashes can be fixed with a little scotch tape and glue in the field. Also the better controllers can be hooked up to a computer so you can fly a sim of the models to get good at them.

Back
Top Bottom