• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Quail , yesterday I jumped two covey Of Quail.

When I was a kid, before I knew anything about hunting seasons, there was a field and some woods near my house. I never knew who owned it but I would hunt squirrels, rabbits and quail with my crosman air rifle. If you followed the covey you could drive them into the woods and shoot them one at a time. I learned to clean them and my mother would fry them like little chickens and make biscuits and gravy. It was just mom and I so we ate he same thing quite bit. The game, however small, was a treat for us. She bought me a Stevens 12ga single shot for my 12th bday. Game changer for squirrels and rabbits but I still drove quail into the woods and shot with pellets.

I will do what I can do create and maintain habitat . Open to suggestions.
I usually find them in 5-7 year old cut overs, or old pine savannah- the kind where the canopies don’t touch and waist-head high brush and grasses grow. My property and the neighboring family land is a mix of brushy grown up fields, 15 year old pines, and patches of hardwoods. We only have one small covey on our land.

A175C9A2-4F16-45BB-9ADA-E4A301F4F2C9.jpeg
I will do what I can do create and maintain habitat . Open to suggestions.
Sounds like yall are doing something right. We burn and plant. Also encourage any native habitats they prefer. Predator control. Check with the state or quail unlimited. They always say you need lots of land , but I disagree. Its good to hear folks talking about seeing them again. Rebel finding one in the thick.

I almost stepped on 6 this morning walking for hogs. Nearly pooped my pants when they flushed. Good lord those things will scare the mess out of you. This was on Ocmulgee WMA. Busted a covey last fall on Oaky Woods WMA too. We actually have a small covey behind my house in Bleckley County. I saw them several times back in the spring and early summer.
You ain’t kidding about them scaring the bejezus out of you. Last time I flushed a covey I was slipping in to a stand all nice and quiet til all hell broke loose at my feet.
We had a bunch of them down at my old club in South Ga.
I hear a few up this way during the Spring, but they’re far and few between.
My lease in Carroll Co has zero quail, but gets a good Woodcock migration most winters.

Back
Top Bottom