• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Quail , yesterday I jumped two covey Of Quail.

I will do what I can do create and maintain habitat . Open to suggestions.
I'd maintain your food plots and keep it as thick as you can along the edges. Thinning timber will help once the volunteer growth takes hold. If you plant wheat and oats in your food plot, hopefully what the deer won't eat will seed out. Even letting native grasses / weeds grow and seed out will help. Just keep in mind that even after mowing that extra growth may be a pain once you try to plow for your Fall food plot.

Since quail are ground nesters anything you can do to eliminate the racoons, skunks, opossums, armadillos, etc will help too.

I have a Buddy that use to prepare and maintain his quail fields..He would plant several varieties of grain bearing plants, he told me the key to a good brood raising and covey was to plant rows. He would plant maybe 20 acres of seed and about half way to maturity he would bush hog rolls maybe 8 ft wide and leave 15 foot planted thick..He did this on the whole area he was growing...He also showed me the pen raised monster quail he raised..I went one evening and those birds which were bigger than I had ever seen, had formed a circle facing out and that is how they slept..Kinda like Muskox..

I don’t believe you. What are the exact coordinates Sinai can verify. :D
5424137C-CCB0-4DD5-955E-C0D832BE7211.gif

Flushed 1st covey in years on Thursday here in God's country. Sure miss them makin' my heart skip a beat while walkin' to the deer stand early in the a.m.

Hope their #'s are climbing back up.

When I was a kid, before I knew anything about hunting seasons, there was a field and some woods near my house. I never knew who owned it but I would hunt squirrels, rabbits and quail with my crosman air rifle. If you followed the covey you could drive them into the woods and shoot them one at a time. I learned to clean them and my mother would fry them like little chickens and make biscuits and gravy. It was just mom and I so we ate he same thing quite bit. The game, however small, was a treat for us. She bought me a Stevens 12ga single shot for my 12th bday. Game changer for squirrels and rabbits but I still drove quail into the woods and shot with pellets.
Same story with my old Crosman .22, bought with money from my paper route..What I did was illegal. There were a lotta quail around back then in NC. When I would hear a male bird whistle, I would get under a tree and do the female whistle until the male flew in and lit over me. Then a head shot. It worked most of the time( in the Spring). I can still do the female whistle, but there ain`t no birds to speak of. Also, I don`t break the law any more.

Back
Top Bottom