• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PRS... RIFLE? CALIBER? RANGE? AND TRAINING?

trident3339

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
Patriot
108   0
Reaction score
As the title would suggest im looking to get into precision rifle shooting. My ultimate goal is a 1 mile shot.
Ive only shot to 500 prior to this venture.

The rifles im looking at are the bergara HMR in 300 win mag or 6.5 credmoor, the Ruger precision in the same calibers, or the Sig cross in 6.5 creedmoor.
So far im leaning heavily towards the Bergara. Its lighter than the RPR and doesnt have the issues the Cross does. It also has a more appropriate barrel length for the caliber.
The next issue would be finding somewhere to shoot this rifle and learn these skills. Ideally id like to start with a 1k yard range, and then seek out the larger ranges.

And finally im sure I will need some instruction in order to obtain my goals.

Also as an aside... im interested in competing in prs or "sniper" type competitions.

Any input you guys have into any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Quantified preformance usually sets up matches near Florida I think. Check them out. I've heard ash Hess say something along the lines of just show up with a zeroed gun and run it.

A mile gun and prs gun are two different guns. You can shoot a mile with a 6.5 creedmoor, but you are really lobbing that thing up there. Conversely, 300 win mag, norma mag, etc, aren't allowed in prs. The 6mm's are popular in prs, but 6.5 cm does well too. Prs guns are versatile, heavy to mitigate recoil and balanced well just before the mag well. With either gun, don’t be scared of weight. You actually want a heavy gun so you can spot your own misses. Mile plus gun are heavy suckered as well. In PRS, you are putting 10+ rd strings of fire on the barrel. You want a heavy profile to mitigate the heat.

The bergara is gonna have the most aftermarket support. If you get into prs, you will quickly start modifying your rifle. New stock/chassis, arca rail, weight kits, heavier quality barrel, etc. The 700 footprint has an abundance of options. The RPR has support as well, but you are married to that chassis. The Sig Cross does nothing for what you are looking to do, but they are cool.

There are other threads talking about places to shoot long range. Just get ready to drive and spend nights in hotels. Arena is the closest with a mile.

cmshoot cmshoot provides training. There are also places that provide long range training geared toward PRS as well. K&M is a bigger one and provide a lot of training. About a 6 hour drive from atlanta

Listen to all of reservoirdawgs advice. Don’t get caught up in the gear race. Quality practice trumps the newest gear any day.
Prs is nothing but a gear race and gamer game these days, and it starts at the the top with Shannon Kay, Phil Cashin and George Gardner

Prs is nothing but a gear race and gamer game these days, and it starts at the the top with Shannon Kaye, Phil Cashin and George Gardner

Yeah that sucks. There’s a lot you can do with an accurate rifle and reliable scope. It’s shame you have to have bags and tripods hanging off you like an Afghan jingle truck.

Just hope it doesn’t scare new shooters away.

Back
Top Bottom