• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PRS... RIFLE? CALIBER? RANGE? AND TRAINING?

Yeah that sucks. There’s a lot you can do with an accurate rifle and reliable scope. It’s shame you have to have bags and tripods hanging off you like an Afghan jingle truck.

Just hope it doesn’t scare new shooters away.
The worst is the new "production rifle" cheats that those 3 put together. You have highly seasoned vets of PRS shooting these fully custom "production class" rifles from GAP and MPA. That was the class for new shooters. It no longer is. They are like the dudes who decide to consider themselves women so they can go feel all good about themselves

The worst is the new "production rifle" cheats that those 3 put together. You have highly seasoned vets of PRS shooting these fully custom "production class" rifles from GAP and MPA. That was the class for new shooters. It no longer is. They are like the dudes who decide to consider themselves women so they can go feel all good about themselves

That last sentence...hahahaha...

I thought production class would be the bergara's, 700 5Rs, savage, etc...of the world. Not a $2,399.999990000 GAP lol.

ReservoirDawg10 ReservoirDawg10 hit the nail on the head…….as usual.

Start with a 6.5CM or .308. Learn the basics with that. The more you shoot, the more you’ll figure out what YOU want/need. Along the way you’ll get to shoot other folks’ rifles, and handle their kit. That can oftentimes save you a lot of time and money when looking to upgrade your equipment. Just because the guy on some winner’s podium using Brand X doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s the right one for YOU.

I’d lean towards the Bergara out of the brands you listed. About $960 will put you into a Bergara HMR in 6.5CM…….about $10 less for a .308.

Don’t think you gotta have a long tube to go on out there, either. I’ve run 16.5”-18” .308’s to 1,000+ yards. I’ve had plenty of my students run 20”-22” 6.5CM’s out to 1,000yds in my Basic Precision Rifle Course with absolutely no issues.

SIG Cross will be one of my next rifles, if/when they get that nasty little safety issue fixed. They shoot exceptionally well, especially for their size/weight.

I run my Basic Precision Rifle Course 3-4 times a year. The next one is October 2-3, and the roster is open. Here’s a link to all the info: https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/basic-precision-rifle-course-oct-2-3-pelham-tn.2563893/

I’m in Dallas, as well. I have access to a localish range that isn’t open to the public. It is only 400yds, but that is great for getting the basics in, and working out your zero.

I can also assist you in getting your components sourced (rifle, optic, rings, base, bipod, ammo, etc,), save you money on it, and properly mount and assemble everything for you.

My son and I shoot PRS. Look up Guardian PRS group. Its not only fun/challenging but its for a really good cause helping abused children in Ga. We shoot 6.5 Creedmore through a Masterpiece Arms chassis, barrels etc. For glass we shoot Zero Compromise scopes. Like Booshie said....minimum of $2,000 on glass. (just my opinion) We have shot a 2 ft. steel plate at a mile but we "lobbed it as the Reservoir Dawg 10 stated. The 6.5 starts to tumble at those ranges and decreased speeds. We have reached a mile with a 338 Lapua and well as a 50 BMG. As for location, we go prairie dog hunting in Kansas. The land owners property has a stretch of just under a two mile distance.
Good luck and enjoy.

$2K on glass necessary? There are a lot of quality scopes from japan in the $750 and up range. The $1000-$1500 scope market is flooded with good scopes. Is it NF, ZC, S&B quality? No, but it definitely works.

$2K on glass necessary? There are a lot of quality scopes from japan in the $750 and up range. The $1000-$1500 scope market is flooded with good scopes. Is it NF, ZC, S&B quality? No, but it definitely works.

I have plenty of students that have no issues out to 1,000yds with scopes under $1000.

To be competitive in a competition sport, the higher end scopes will definitely give you an edge. Better clarity will help you pick up and engage targets under stress, for one thing.

If someone is happy and successful with scopes in those price ranges, by all means save your money to buy one, use and enjoy them. There are tons of great shooters out there who are perfectly satisfied with their purchase. I was perfectly happy with my Vortex Viper 5x24 ($900.00)......until I shot through the vortex razor....Then..I was perfectly happy with my razor ($1,600.00) until I shot with my son's Zero Comp.
I say shoot what works for ya but whatever your choice have fun with the process of learning as well as the sport itself.

If someone is happy and successful with scopes in those price ranges, by all means save your money to buy one, use and enjoy them. There are tons of great shooters out there who are perfectly satisfied with their purchase. I was perfectly happy with my Vortex Viper 5x24 ($900.00)......until I shot through the vortex razor....Then..I was perfectly happy with my razor ($1,600.00) until I shot with my son's Zero Comp.
I say shoot what works for ya but whatever your choice have fun with the process of learning as well as the sport itself.

That’s the thing; once you start playing with the higher end optics, it’s hard to move down the ladder!

When I have students that start pretty basic, and then want to upgrade down the road, my first recommendations are usually better triggers and better optics.

You can use a sub 2k optic. There are some good choices there for repeatability and durability. But, that 2k mark is where you start to get into quality alpha tier glass. It makes a difference, especially when trying to pick up on small, shot up plates sitting in shade. Some of the better glass almost seems to "cut through" mirage better than lower end scopes. If you are shooting at 1k+, 9 out of 10 times, you are also fighting mirage.

i would agree 100% . Reading the mirage at 1000 plus yds is a challenge as well even with high end glass. Sounds like you have a lot of experience in this sport. I'm still learning.
Have fun and be safe!

Back
Top Bottom