• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Protective Measures F.O.F. Classes w/ reviews

Thanks to Ashley, Lorrie, Brandy, Ty, Bill, "Beav", John, & Dave for participating in this weekends class.

Special thanks to John of "Riptide MMA" of Bluffton, S.C. for hosting this class & very special thanks to Dave (Stateline) for inviting us down to put this class on.
John has a very nice facility near Hilton Head that anyone interested in MMA training in that region should check out.

Once again this weekends class exemplified how critical it is to train against live, unpredictable, moving opponents.

Some of the lessons learned were:

Always have a plan or plans to deal with possible threats.

You can't form a plan in the middle of a fight.

Always assume there is one more threat than the one you see.

Not everyone armed in a confrontation is necessarily a bad guy (they might be a plainclothes policeman or another "good guy").

Under stress your fine motor skills degrade (gross motor skills learned through repetition work best) & your "survival instincts" take over.

If a womans method of carry is a purse, having a holster that keeps it in one location ready at hand as well as lots of practice drawing it is vital.

Always create distance from a threat when possible or practical.

Fire draws fire. Also, due to "sympathetic fire" quite often when guns are drawn & pointed when one person fires... everyone fires.

You cannot always count on one shot from a pistol to stop a threat immediately.

It sucks to be unarmed at a gunfight.... hence Rule #1 of a (gun) fight

It was a real pleasure meeting & training w/ everyone there & hope everyone got more than they expected.

Its always an honor to do a class for other Instructors, especially ones you hold in high regard such as I do "Stateline".
Much respect to nim for not becoming complacent, staying "current" & exposing his group to outside instruction. They are fortunate to have him as a leader to steer them in the right direction.

Keep'em safe & thanks again for having us down.

Last edited:
This class conducted in Hilton Head, S.C. which was the most remote one "Protective Measures" has held yet away from our homebase.

If anyone else would like to discuss hosting a class of this type in your town please PM me on here & we can discuss the details.

Thanks again to Monte and Dwayne from Protective Measures.
The training was professional, relevant, and yes it was fun. I highly recommend this training for anyone who keeps or carries a gun for self defense (which I'm guessing is anyone reading this in ODT)

I'm looking for a host site in/ around Atlanta to offer one of these classes.
We already have some spots filled but are looking for a good site and a few more attendees.

If you have a possible site and/ or would like to participate in a terrific "skill building" class light years beyond shooting at static paper or metal targets send me a PM or give me a call.

Thanks again to Monte and Dwayne from Protective Measures.
The training was professional, relevant, and yes it was fun. I highly recommend this training for anyone who keeps or carries a gun for self defense (which I'm guessing is anyone reading this in ODT)

Thanks Dave for inviting us down, thanks to John of "Riptide MMA" for hosting it, & thanks to the whose group that came out to participate
It was a real pleasure meeting & training with you all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom