• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Protective Measures F.O.F. Classes w/ reviews

Man, I would SO love to attend one of these. Won't be able to make this one but I am definitely keeping this on my wish list. Its been over a decade since I've done any "real" FOF training. I could certainly use a refresher.

For a small example of the content of ONE of the FIVE scenarios we are going to be doing exercises on, the Home Invasion scenarios will be exercises & discussion on 4 types of "Home Invasions/ Break-ins"

** Outside the Home- Assailants breaking into the home through doors, windows, etc.
** "Trojan Horse" & Forced Entry- Assailants using deception to gain entry to home or overpowering physical force
** Inside the Home- Assailants already having gained entry inside the home
** Inside the Room- Worse case scenario of waking up to find a person or persons in your room

Some of the topics that will be covered are the advantages of staying put ("holing up") as opposed to clearing the house & appropriate times to do either, use of safe rooms, having & practicing your families "Emergency Response Plan in the event a H.I. occurs, passive security measures to use to "harden the target" (your house), pros/cons of longgun vs sidearm, necessity & use of both weapon-mounted & hand tact. lights, importance of having a spouse or other capable family member w/ training & proper mindset, getting 911 on the phone & L.E. on the way when possible, discussion & evaluation of each students current home "set-up" w/ possible test in scenario.

Students performance will be tested under highly stressful environments in real-life replicating scenarios then reviewed & evaluated in a constructive manner.

If these types of exercises are performed properly they give the student a "taste" of the physical & mental stress they will experience in a real assault & help prepare them to not only survive but to prevail.

Going to be a great day tomorrow....

This class was one of if not the best ever.

I think one or two of the attendees will comment on here as to their experience this week. In post- class (AAR) discussions the comments were, "When are we doing this again?", "This has definitely made me more prepared for real live deadly "probes" or attacks", "Wow, that was intense", "This has given me a lot to think about", etc.

Lessons learned were:

HAVE A PLAN or (plans) on what to do in a potentially deadly situation.
Under extreme stress most people FREEZE when the "fight, flight, or freeze" reflex kicks in because they don't have a plan ("I can't believe this is happening to me") & they can't form complex thoughts & think clearly.
On the range usually all of the action is initiated by you and/ or is directed at static or at least inanimate targets THAT DO NOT THINK, MOVE UNPREDICTABLY, OR FIGHT BACK.

Accuracy degrades DRAMATICALLY when shooting at moving targets who are shooting back at you.

Having a good understanding of the O.C.G.A. laws (specifically 16-3-21), the "Reasonable Man Doctrine", & Predatory Behavior is a HUGE advantage in the real world where you cannot aggressively challenge everyone who gets within 10' to 20' of you... but you also cannot let a possible assailant inside your "personal space" either.

Having thousands of reps. drawing, presenting & firing your defensive pistol gives you a big EDGE. "Slow becomes smooth, smooth becomes fast".

When an aggressive panhandler(s) (who could be either just that or an armed robber capable of homicide) doesn't take a calm, firm, or even fairly aggressive "Back off", "Leave me/us alone", "Stop", etc., let your "BARK" be as loud as your "BITE".
A squared off, aggressive, FULLY COMMITTED stance combined w/ finding that fully grown "Angry Silverback Gorilla" voice can work for even smaller statured persons. Not only does it possibly convince your assailant you're a Predator (not Prey) & "startle" others in the area, it draws unwanted attention & can force the assailant(s) to start reacting to what you are doing putting them behind the power curve & likely in search of a "better" victim.

Low light increases the level of difficulty by a big margin but does work both ways.

Sometimes, in an unfolding dangerous event, if fight or flight isn't a good immediate option being the "gray man" may be the best choice until a window of action becomes available.

Just like pulling into an intersection once you decide on a course of action, "Go, or don't go"... but either way commit 100%.

Disciplined, methodical F.O.F. classes are NOT the same as "playing airsoft. All the attendees were very serious students who have taken not only classes from me but from a multitude of other Instructors/ Schools as well.

"Airsoft" pellets actually hit pretty hard.

While anyone can get ambushed/ surprised, having a clear understanding of the methods criminals use helps the person who has decided to carry a firearm for self-defense recognize & better avoid bad situations and find a balance of good situational awareness.... not being in "Condition White" or "Condition Red' 24/7 but finding that happy medium that enables one to be confident that you are unafraid & prepared to deal with whatever comes your way.

Last edited:
Another great, scenario based class! Thanks to Monte and Crew. Having former LEO in as well gave some great commentary not only on what to do before or during a shoot but also AFTER a shoot...things most of us never think about is what happens AFTER the trigger is pulled....

Scenario based training ratchets up the stress level as does using Air soft guns (which hurt like a MOFO btw). It was cool that I got to use a Glock 19 airsoft gun in the same holster I carry a REAL G19 in Daily....Anytime we ran scenarios with different people it always changed a bit based on individual input..

If you have never felt like Prey, it may be good to get into some training like this....most of us are used to being an "Alpha" but when the odds against you increase its a whole different feeling...I had rather loose a few scenarios here than in the real world to further instill the need to be ever-vigilant and situationally aware.

thanks again
shane

Great class, can be a real eye opener between the difference of just carrying and being prepared while carrying. Yes, it can move you stress level up that's for sure but there is nothing like reviewing how you did after the scenario is over and try and fix it for the next time. You get to go home after the class is over even if you loose a few and that sure beats loosing in the real deal. We had a great group of guys out there and it was a welcome needed experience. For those of you whom have thought about doing this type of class think no more , just do it you won't regret it.

Thanks

Great class, can be a real eye opener between the difference of just carrying and being prepared while carrying. Yes, it can move you stress level up that's for sure but there is nothing like reviewing how you did after the scenario is over and try and fix it for the next time. You get to go home after the class is over even if you loose a few and that sure beats loosing in the real deal. We had a great group of guys out there and it was a welcome needed experience. For those of you whom have thought about doing this type of class think no more , just do it you won't regret it.

Thanks

Glad you were able to come out. Quite a bit different than shooting "defenseless" paper targets.....

I am certain that these scenarios give the person going through them the context to recognize predatory behavior earlier & better process what they should do to "manage" the encounter. Whether that involves drawing and possibly firing the gun... using ones body language & verbal skills to deter the threat.... or just tactfully withdrawing oneself from the area of danger.

These classes are a great way to sharpen your situational awareness skills.... and to practice explaining to an "investigator" why you felt that use of deadly force was necessary ( if you fired your gun) without having to pay an attorney $350/hr. while you wonder if you made the right decision.

It was a great learning experience and I can clearly see why you have so many repeat students looking forward to doing it again.

Thanks !

When is the next one scheduled? How many students do you need to have this class? I would like to try and put a crew together to do a course like this. Thanks

I'm doing a "remote" class in Savannah (perhaps two actually) in late Feb. but they are closed, custom classes.
However I could do one for a group of yours onsite just as well.
4 or more is a good number.
Some conversation needs to be had about venue & other specifics.
You would also get a discount since you are "alumni" whose already been trained with me before.

Back
Top Bottom