• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Primers in stock

CCI SRP work fine in my 1911, 2011 and factory striker glock.
In 9mm 124gr at 1080 fps, I cannot detect any velocity difference between SPP and SRP.

The only difference in primers is that I know a glock with springs that produce a lighter than factory trigger pull will occasionally fail to fire With SRPs.
From what I have read, the CCI small pistol magnum and the small rifle is the same exact primer. Small rifle magnum has a thicker cup, same as the small rifle bench rest and #41.

Rosewood

CCI SRP work fine in my 1911, 2011 and factory striker glock.
In 9mm 124gr at 1080 fps, I cannot detect any velocity difference between SPP and SRP.

The only difference in primers is that I know a glock with springs that produce a lighter than factory trigger pull will occasionally fail to fire With SRPs.
There is a video floating around out there from an ammo manufacturer detailing their small primer pressure testing using the appropriate equipment. It's absolutely worth watching! But, the gist of their findings is that small rifle and small pistol primers may be used interchangeably in stock weapons and in rounds loaded at book charges.

It is also interesting to note that currently, some of Hodgdon's 300AAC Blackout data calls for magnum primers in both super and sub rounds.

Went by BPS last night, and 10 days after I posted about the primers, there were still 33,000 on the shelf. I think we can safely say the "shortage" is officially over.

Unfortunately, the shortage is not over for those of us looking for US sourced 209 size primers.

While the European 209 size primers from Cheddite, Fiocchi, and Nobel Sport are available, it is still rare to see Winchester, Remington or a Federal primers in stock.
Many of the larger online vendors have been out of stock for almost a year :(

Went by BPS last night, and 10 days after I posted about the primers, there were still 33,000 on the shelf. I think we can safely say the "shortage" is officially over.
I beg your pardon, 32,000. I bought 1k Wednesday night.

There were no small pistol primers, large pistol or large rifle primers. All they had was small rifle. So I would say that shortage is still going strong.

Rosewood

I beg your pardon, 32,000. I bought 1k Wednesday night.

There were no small pistol primers, large pistol or large rifle primers. All they had was small rifle. So I would say that shortage is still going strong.

Rosewood
Good point Rosewood. My perspective is admittedly a bit skewed since I use few large primers and I'm perfectly comfortable using small rifle primers in place of small pistol in most cases. Still, I'm astonished that the primers at BPS have lasted this long. Something has changed.

Unfortunately, the shortage is not over for those of us looking for US sourced 209 size primers.

While the European 209 size primers from Cheddite, Fiocchi, and Nobel Sport are available, it is still rare to see Winchester, Remington or a Federal primers in stock.
Many of the larger online vendors have been out of stock for almost a year :(
I'm sure you're right. Since I've never used them, they're not on my radar at all.

Back
Top Bottom