• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

"pre-covid" ammo price references

kbkatl

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
57   0
Reaction score
I'm not buying or selling, but I have seen ads where someone wants to trade a firearm for ammo, but specifies that the ammo be "pre-covid" prices.

I feel like saying "sure, we'll meet at a time machine and go back to when ammo cost less".

I don't condone or approve of new costs for ammo, but it costs what it costs - today. If you want to trade me for ammo, I'll offer ammo for what it cost today, not what it cost at some point in the past or what I think it will cost in the future.

so I don't bother with those ads. am I thinking wrong? are they right to ask for "pre-covid" valuations on ammo in trades?

I'm not buying or selling, but I have seen ads where someone wants to trade a firearm for ammo, but specifies that the ammo be "pre-covid" prices.

I feel like saying "sure, we'll meet at a time machine and go back to when ammo cost less".

I don't condone or approve of new costs for ammo, but it costs what it costs - today. If you want to trade me for ammo, I'll offer ammo for what it cost today, not what it cost at some point in the past or what I think it will cost in the future.

so I don't bother with those ads. am I thinking wrong? are they right to ask for "pre-covid" valuations on ammo in trades?
I've always read them as asking for 'pre-covid' prices when it comes to ammo trades. Meaning, if .22lr bulk was $0.05 and .223 was $0.35, they'd be willing to do a 7:1 swap.

i think it matters on context. I've asked the same thing but only when it came to trades where i was specifically looking for ammo. I.e. "I have a 1000$ rifle, im not looking to trade for ammo unless precovid prices." Just like the seller can price their ammo for whatever tehy want, the trader can ask for whatever they want in trade. if they get it or not will have to be seen.

Those people are just upset that they failed to prepare, now they expect people to do them a favor and sell their ammo to them for less than what it's currently worth. It's the firearms forum equivalent of crying about not getting a participation trophy.
I won't condemn anyone for not being prepared (without knowing more about their circumstance). some might not have had the cash, or they did have some, and just want more so they can shoot more often. they could have been prepared for home defense or emergencies but not for shooting matches or extended range sessions.

so maybe they want to take ammo in trade, which is fine. but acting like ammo shouldn't' cost what it does cost - doesn't make sense. Go back in time if you can and trade it then. or, If you think its a spike and will come back down, then wait for that to happen to make your trade of gun for ammo.

but in my mind, if you want to trade gun/item for ammo today, you trade at today's value, whatever that is, not "pre-covid" values.

Back
Top Bottom