• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Planted some stuff today - spring garden - anyone else planting yet?

Yep - we planted lettuce, chives, onions, arugula, kale, spinach. All seems to be doing fine even with the couple of cold mights we had down into the high 20s. Strawberries overwintered well and we'll be adding to that bed.

We'll be putting in tomatoes, a few different kinds of beans, melons, squash, zucchini, squash, cucumbers on March 1st.

I'd like to do a couple of potatoe bins, too. Not sure about that as we may be buying a house.

2nd week of March - all the herbs go in.

Northern Tool has a cold frame/greenhouse at works great for $29. You can leave a shop light in it with a 40 or 60 watt bulb lit on freezing nights. 4 shelves.

Chris,

Get your potatoes in now.
We had frost last year on may 3. http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/cartersville-ga/30120/may-weather/332425?year=2011
Your March 1 planting date scares me...
I will put in a few tomato plants In the first week or two of March. My plan is to put down black plastic film about a week prior to planting to heat the ground up. My tomato cages made out of concrete wire and opened up make excellent support for clear plastic film to go over the maters. I have protected tomatoes down to 26 degrees with post and plastic film. This year I will also use a frost proof spray.

It's fun experimenting and plans are close to free if you start them yourself.
Have fun!

Chris,

Get your potatoes in now.
We had frost last year on may 3. http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/cartersville-ga/30120/may-weather/332425?year=2011
Your March 1 planting date scares me...
I will put in a few tomato plants In the first week or two of March. My plan is to put down black plastic film about a week prior to planting to heat the ground up. My tomato cages made out of concrete wire and opened up make excellent support for clear plastic film to go over the maters. I have protected tomatoes down to 26 degrees with post and plastic film. This year I will also use a frost proof spray.

It's fun experimenting and plans are close to free if you start them yourself.
Have fun!

What's the frost proof spray? I've heard of doing the rest but that is a new one on me. thanks!!

Yep - we planted lettuce, chives, onions, arugula, kale, spinach. All seems to be doing fine even with the couple of cold mights we had down into the high 20s. Strawberries overwintered well and we'll be adding to that bed.

We'll be putting in tomatoes, a few different kinds of beans, melons, squash, zucchini, squash, cucumbers on March 1st.

I'd like to do a couple of potatoe bins, too. Not sure about that as we may be buying a house.

2nd week of March - all the herbs go in.

Northern Tool has a cold frame/greenhouse at works great for $29. You can leave a shop light in it with a 40 or 60 watt bulb lit on freezing nights. 4 shelves.

I completely forgot about the strawberries, thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom