• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Pistol Powder

For a new guy----

As long as you are loading light loads: Clays, or Solo1000

If loading heavier loads: Universal Clays, or Universal Clays

I just use a 5" by 8" notebook and write down things like load number, caliber, case type, powder type, powder charge, primer and anything different I might do like crimp severity, lube etc. You make a mistake, your change your format, no big deal. You are learning an aspect of the hobby that will pay big, and I mean big dividends!

When shooting, I'll note the distance to the target, group size, report if its unusual and how dirty the gun gets from that load combination. This can give me insight into using more/less powder. I can then save time and work in the right direction, adding more powder, or using less as seems necessary. It also helps to verify if a load works. I may test it several times to make sure I can get repeat peformance and that I was just not "on" that day. Tracking the variables can even make it easier to zero in on what you may want to change the next time you load for that cartridge. Its even helped me to solve FTF issues. I've come up with loads that burn cleaner.

In 38 Special, for example, I found that Hodgdon's Clays (NOT UNIVERSAL OR INTERNATIONAL CLAYS), 3.5 grns under a Lee 125grn RNFP bullet lubed with Lyman's Orange Magic shoots blisteringly fast (I don't have a chrono) and true to the point of aim on my Smith's (model 637) fixed sight. After 50 rounds the gun is not that dirty. No pressure signs on the cases. The Lee load table confirms this is a max load for the combination. Its fun to shoot. There is a concussive blast when you shoot it. And, its so loud I've made a kid cry at the public range. :evil:

Handloading is a hobby unto itself. I would not get into it unless you are the kind of guy who likes to solve problems, and is not easily deterred by failure. It helps if you're a busy body, or a tight wad who likes to save a buck here and there. Handloading is an obsession! :cool2:

Back
Top Bottom