• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Pistol Powder

jcountry

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
New reloader....

I have got pretty much everything all collected-and am down to figuring out powder and bullets.

I would like to find a "bulky" powder which will be easy to see in the cases. (I am using a single stage and cartridge trays-so nothing tricky.)

I am planning on starting with 9mm. I have data for all sort of powders, and seems I have all kind of recommendations as well. I am hearing Unique and Blue Dot, a lot. I also hear power pistol.

I'd like to find something which meters well, has a suitable power curve for beginner-and ideally something which would be well suited for .45ACP and .38. (Probably won't be loading other pistol calibers.)

I am just finding this array of powders bewildering-and I would like to just find one plain jane one which would be good for these calibers-and just settle into that powder. Keep things simple....

Accurate #5
Fills the case nice and full. Easy to visually check charge level. Meters great and loads .45acp also. Great velocity in both calipers as well if you're into or need it.

Seems like I read that AA#5 was specifically developed for .45acp but I could be mistaken about that.

Last edited:
Finding what you want is the trick,
As a new reloader as well I acctually using Red Dot powder I. The 38spec and 9mm that I am currently loading

I had a selection of powders I was looking for but setteled on what I could find locally.

Good Luck...

I use to use Unique but have grown to hate it. Right up there with black powder for cleanliness. I like ball powder W 296 or H110 or N110 Read good reports for LilGun Biggest issue right now none of those are available at least where I shop....

Accurate #5
Fills the case nice and full. Easy to visually check charge level. Meters great and loads .45acp also. Great velocity in both calipers as well if you're into or need it.

Seems like I read that AA#5 was specifically developed for .45acp but I could be mistaken about that.

Number 5 has a wide range of caliber uses. I use it in sub-sonic 9mm loads. AA#7 is touted as being "the 9mm powder" a bit slower burn rate and fills the case a bit more than AA#5. Both meter very well.

Number 5 has a wide range of caliber uses. I use it in sub-sonic 9mm loads. AA#7 is touted as being "the 9mm powder" a bit slower burn rate and fills the case a bit more than AA#5. Both meter very well.

I'll have to give it (#7) a try. I like #5 and if it's a better 9mm powder... trick is finding it nowadays. But I assume it as as clean which is one thing I did forget to mention about #5. Never shot it at night, so I can't report on level of flash.
Rest assured, if RRoddoc likes it, it's probably good. I don't post a lot but tend to follow a few guys advice. Plenty of em' here know what they're talking about. He's one of them.
Now everybody get some sleep! LOL

Back
Top Bottom