Pick the caliber of my AK

Which caliber for my AK?

• Total voters
Saying service style rifle meaning a military style rifle-i.e. service rifle, or a rifle type used in military service.
Not the best choice of words in retrospect.
I didn`t want use the term `assault rifle` in my description.

oh ok I gotcha..thought you meant like a patrol rifle or something I was like dude....that's badass:lol:

quick question for folks..doesn't the 7.62x39 round play a role in the AK's reliability? Seems I've heard the bigger round uses a bigger/heavier bolt allowing it to be able to function through sand/mud/etc.

oh ok I gotcha..thought you meant like a patrol rifle or something I was like dude....that's badass:lol:

quick question for folks..doesn't the 7.62x39 round play a role in the AK's reliability? Seems I've heard the bigger round uses a bigger/heavier bolt allowing it to be able to function through sand/mud/etc.

Not really. Its more the rifle itself. Blackwater did a test with the ak-74 and it passed with flying colors.

My preferred cartridge is 5.56X45, however, I feel it is the wrong round for an AK platform. The AK's loose tolerances will probably not allow you to realize the accuracy / range potential of the 5.56. Moreover, as we've been conditioned to accept, most firefights take place at relatively close range anyhow. 5.45X39 is interesting, but after my negative experience with the cartridge (constant keyholing in high quality custom rifle), I won't go there again. For my own purposes, the 7.62X39 is the last of the three I'd choose simply because I can carry 50% more ammo in 5.56 pound-for-pound, and keep bad guys at greater distance, but if you're going with an AK, the old 7.62X39 is the clear choice.

My main concern would be parts and magazines. An AK in an odd caliber is gonna be very expensive to find mags and parts for.

7.62x39 gets my vote.

AK's were made with this round and should stay that way. It's an effective killing round compared to the other two. I know its important how accurate the rifle is but how far are you planning to shoot with an AK? A AK in 5.56, in my opinion, was a bad idea in the first place. First, because of the AK platform, the 5.56 would not perform as it should. The looser barrel of the AK is going to change the accuracy of this round. Secondly, because of the 5.56 round on a AK platform, it might affect the reliability of the platform. Not only because of the round but also because of the parts. Magazines in 5.56 AKs usually are crap with bad FTF issues. So basically, you get none of the good out of the 5.56 and you get the bad side of an AK.

The AK74 5.45x39, on the other hand, is a decent round but still lacks power. It was made, just as the 5.56 was, to injure not to kill. At least with a 74 platform, all the parts are correct, reliable magazines are available, and ammo is dirt cheap to buy and light to carry.

Lastly, the original AK47, this is my opinion has to be the most effective assault rifle ever made. It has all the aspect down and evened out. Its reliable and it has power. The accuracy is just enough to do what you need to. You can't expect sniper rifle accuracy on these or the AR15s so might as well pick the one with the reliability and power. Parts are widely available and ammo is cheap and also widely available. Only problem with me is the weight on these, they are a bit heavy to be lugging around with you all day. Especially the ammo, I have about 6 cans of 7.62x39 with about 900 rounds each can and each can is about 40-45lbs.

I hope you choose the 7.62x39. Its the way AK were originally made and should stay.

Back
Top Bottom