• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Painting a Synthetic Stock? Any Suggestions?

Rommel

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
43   0
Reaction score
Bough a plain-jane 10/22 the other day anticipating another build. Probably should have just opted out for the model 1261 (threaded barrel) but having as I have already had two of those decided I wanted to go a different route.

Anyway getting back on subject I haven't decided if I will be putting a threaded barrel on there yet so as of now I just have the standard barrel, black synthetic stock. I didn't really want to go the Hogue route as I have heard that they do add some weight to the rifle and I can't use a barrel band (I would like to retain that option). I'm wanting a light rifle as opposed to my other .22's for bushy tail season. I had thought about the Duracoat method but I got to thinking: someone on the ODT has had to have experimented at some point and painted a synthetic stock. I'm really wanting to paint it OD green. Any suggestions on what would work (types, brands of paint, etc.) and/or methods of doing so?

Help would be much appreciated. Oh, and BTW if you know of anyone that is selling a threaded barrel (non bull-barrel / .920) please let me know.

I painted my M&P 15-22 with Rustoleum, finished it off with a clear coat. Seems to work well. Without the clear coat, the areas that are touched the most rubbed off real fast.

Krylon Fusion... best paint for plastics short of Duracoat. Doesn't flake off like regular spray bomb paints are prone to do when flexed...

M1A Winter ODT.jpg

Last edited:
Alumahyde-when you factor in it does not need primer it actually is reasonably priced-especially when you consider its performance. Best thing to do is blast with 200 grit media. Followed by thorough wash down with acetone. Keep a dryer handi for keeping the part above 90 deg. The key is LIGHT coats...the key is LIGHT coats....did I mention the key is LIGHT coats so thin you can see about 60-70% of the previous coat??? Well that will go a long ways to improving finish and adhesion. Then keep at a temperature above 90 deg to cure for a couple of hours take out and don't touch for a week.

Alumahyde-when you factor in it does not need primer it actually is reasonably priced-especially when you consider its performance. Best thing to do is blast with 200 grit media. Followed by thorough wash down with acetone. Keep a dryer handi for keeping the part above 90 deg. The key is LIGHT coats...the key is LIGHT coats....did I mention the key is LIGHT coats so thin you can see about 60-70% of the previous coat??? Well that will go a long ways to improving finish and adhesion. Then keep at a temperature above 90 deg to cure for a couple of hours take out and don't touch for a week.

This, before I started going the duracoat and cerakote route, I used Alumahyde 2 from Brownells. IMO its just as durable as Duracoat and easier/faster to use. Also like mentioned above keep above 75 degrees and use a hair dryer in between coats and don't touch it for a week

Krylon fusion is awesome and cheap...found at walmart, lowes, home depot etc. It is made for plastic and it makes a molecular bond. It dries quick but takes about a week to harden/cure so it's best to paint it and leave it be for at least a week...then it's like it was meant to be that color. I camo my pmags with it so that they match any color AR furniture. I have painted several rifle stocks and they hold up very well. If you ever do get a scratch, it's easy to touch up.

Back
Top Bottom