Opinions: Ruger PC9 or Kel Tec Sub2000

I have had my sub2k gen 1 for several years and have done the Mcarbo trigger upgrade.
I also Own a ar9 and I find the Sub2k travels with me more than the ar9. Mainly because the Sub folds up nicer than carrying the ar9. I looked at t h e PC9 and it just wasn't the right feel for me. Neither was the camp 9 I had several years ago..

May not be what you're looking for, but Magpul's PC9 Backpacker stock weighs 21 oz (according to Magpul). The standard Ruger PC9 stock weighs 32.6 oz; a difference of 11.6 oz.
but the backpacker for the 9mm does not yet exist as something we can buy. I've been on the mailing list since before I got the gun :censored:

I have had my sub2k gen 1 for several years and have done the Mcarbo trigger upgrade.
I also Own a ar9 and I find the Sub2k travels with me more than the ar9. Mainly because the Sub folds up nicer than carrying the ar9. I looked at t h e PC9 and it just wasn't the right feel for me. Neither was the camp 9 I had several years ago..
I thoght about building another dedicated Glock mag lower AR9. But then I looked up the prices of parts , compared it to the retail of a new Extar EP9 and the answer to that one was simple.
For a while I wanted to build a sort of updated version of a Tec9 which was basically an AR9 with 4" barrel and Colt style mags. But again, the prices of the combined parts made it not a project I could take on. Plus, while the Colt style mags look better to me than the Glock mags they cost more, some brands work and some suck, some magwell adapters work well but are really expensive and the other optin is super suck cheap brands.
So...with all that in mind, if I were to want another AR style 9 in under 10" the Extar would be it.

I thoght about building another dedicated Glock mag lower AR9. But then I looked up the prices of parts , compared it to the retail of a new Extar EP9 and the answer to that one was simple.
For a while I wanted to build a sort of updated version of a Tec9 which was basically an AR9 with 4" barrel and Colt style mags. But again, the prices of the combined parts made it not a project I could take on. Plus, while the Colt style mags look better to me than the Glock mags they cost more, some brands work and some suck, some magwell adapters work well but are really expensive and the other optin is super suck cheap brands.
So...with all that in mind, if I were to want another AR style 9 in under 10" the Extar would be it.

FOXTROT Mike FM9
Glock mags, Last round bolt hold open and side charging.
Last I looked at them they were around the $700-800 range. Naaa can't build one for the price hardly right now.

I had a Sub2K Gen2 and liked it. Very light, ok recoil, acceptable accuracy. Then I built a 5 in CMMG radial delayed 9mm AR. Recoils like a 22 mag and shoots ragged holes in paper enemies. I put 10 rounds through the Kel tec after that and immediately sold it. Trigger felt too spongey and the recoil was way more than the AR9.

If you decide to go the AR9 route, I've got a spare 10 inch upper with a colt mag adapter and 5 colt pattern mags I could let go. It's just sitting in my closet waiting for a lower I'll probably never build.

Back
Top Bottom