• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Opinions: Ruger PC9 or Kel Tec Sub2000

letusbuyyourcar

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
203   0
Reaction score
I currently own a PC9 take down with the Glock mag magwell installed. I dig it and it's threaded. Kinda works like a heavier 10/22. And it has the take down barrel option. On the downside...it's heavy. Don't know exact weight but it's up there with my M70 Yugo as far as weight. And when I really stopped to think about it I don't see where I would ever really have a need for the takedown option. Yeah it's cool and all but not all THAT cool. Now I DO dig being able to switch the bolt handle to the right ( left handed) side. I don't shoot lefty but I dig the handle on that side for some reason. Kinda like my Hi Point 4095 carbine.

So...wirh all that in mind I was kinda thinking that the folding nature of the Sub 2K would be handier than the Ruger take down feature. But I have never even held a Sub 2K and know very little about them. I know there are 2 gens of them with subtle differences. Guess I should look up the empty weights of both guns. And I know that over the years Kel Tec quality control HAS been kinda sketchy to say the least.

Anyway, yall please feel free to comment here. I feel like there are probably a good bit more members that own or have owned the Sub2K since it's been around longer. But looking for the so called apples tp apples head to head comparison here.

I own both. The sub2k is lighter 4 pounds vs the 7 of the pcc. It folds smaller snd stays attached. It’s thinner. It fits easily in a regular backpack.
That said I’m all about the pcc. All of my keltec stuff (minus this sub) has been broken or recalled. If any company besides them made it, it would be sick.

I like small travel guns. Easy transport is really great for stuff that gets used.
I’m hoping the pcc gets the magpul stock, and I will buy it the instant it comes out. I like the sub for the size but if I ever NEED a gun? I don’t want it to be a keltec.
The Glock is where it’s at. Weighs less than a 1911. Hits 100 yard targets easily. Fits in a glove box.

Attachments

• C7764F4A-BEBC-46E4-AD55-1529CE0F0EBB.jpeg
    C7764F4A-BEBC-46E4-AD55-1529CE0F0EBB.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 66AA8AF3-E55F-43E8-854E-C24148FA2FF5.jpeg
    66AA8AF3-E55F-43E8-854E-C24148FA2FF5.jpeg
    524.3 KB · Views: 75
  • B8EB0E24-898B-49A2-B12A-248E073A6E77.jpeg
    B8EB0E24-898B-49A2-B12A-248E073A6E77.jpeg
    428.7 KB · Views: 74
Get a PSA 5.56 11.5 AR pistol for around the same price.

The Kel Tec is a great concept but the execution isnt there.
Its for fun only.
If you can get one for the pre covid price of $400+ then it might be worth it but it isnt for duty use.

I own both. The sub2k is lighter 4 pounds vs the 7 of the pcc. It folds smaller snd stays attached. It’s thinner. It fits easily in a regular backpack.
That said I’m all about the pcc. All of my keltec stuff (minus this sub) has been broken or recalled. If any company besides them made it, it would be sick.

I like small travel guns. Easy transport is really great for stuff that gets used.
I’m hoping the pcc gets the magpul stock, and I will buy it the instant it comes out. I like the sub for the size but if I ever NEED a gun? I don’t want it to be a keltec.
The Glock is where it’s at. Weighs less than a 1911. Hits 100 yard targets easily. Fits in a glove box.
That sawed off pump is sexy. And it looks like you have explored all the options.

I have owned both gens of the sub 2000. I like them but bought a ar 9 with a 5 in barrell. The keltec has a lot of internal plastic parts including the feed ramp. Mcarbo sells all kinds of internal upgrades for it. Mcarbo also sella the sub 2000 with all parts upgraded. It is warrantied by keltec. The price is 799. If I was going to get another it would be the mcarbo version

I have a Gen 2 Sub-2000, havent shot it yet. But it has nice ergo's and uses the ever plentiful Glock magazines. Will plan on doing the M-Carbo upgrades in the near future. No experience/handling with the Ruger offering.

See that was what I thought. Even though I know Ruger Q/C is better than Kel Tec. It just seems like the Sub 2K is the lighter shorter and quicker deployed package.
yeah. I've been looking for small travel guns for a while. I have done probably 5k miles of road trips in an RV, and space is at a premium. It's nice to have something bigger than the LCP/365/1911 on your hip. And if the trip ISN"T about shooting, lugging around a heavy ass gun case is annoying at best.

I have/had both. I kept the PCC9 and traded the Sub2k. Never had a problem with it, but just seemed flimsy to me. If I want a small travel gun in 9mm, the Glock 17 fills that niche. I keep the Ruger in a quick access safe for home defense. 30+ rounds of 9mm in a reliable carbine is hard to beat.

Back
Top Bottom