• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Opinion: Should states have mandatory training to receive CCW license?

Porter Rockwell, I agree that there isn't much of a "problem" with permit-holding gun-toters shooting the wrong people, either by accident (poor gun handling skills), or intentionally (didn't know the laws of deadly force).

And I'm not sure how much "training" will really help chronically stupid or reckless people. We've had mandatory hunter safety classes since the 1970s, right? And yet EVERY YEAR hunters who have taken, and passed, such training classes will shoot other hunters, or other people out walking in the woods for exercise. Or they'll shoot farmer's cows and neighbor's dogs. All because they "saw something moving in the woods" and opened fire on it.

Still, even if mandatory training won't really make us safer, perhaps it will have other benefits that come from the POLITICAL aspects. With training, we can get reciprocity with more states. With training, maybe we can have fewer off-limits locations in Georgia. With training, maybe we can hold-off the Leftists' calls to repeal Stand Your Ground, and their proposals to add more gun free zones all across Georgia.

This is complicated - and I have a long answer

We don't have training, testing or licensing requirements to excercise our first amendment rights, our right to vote, or our ability to reproduce etc. etc.

We do require some training, testing and licensing requirements to drive a car, practice medicine , fly an airplane, run a business etc.

This may be a slippery slope also, licensing training or testing requirements, could become so complicated or difficult as a back door way to reduce access or to limit and restrict our 2nd amendment rights. This could be a real threat!

Having said all that. With certain safeguards, A minimum written test for laws regarding use of a firearm and a minimum qualification shooting test may be acceptable.

Although, I currently do not see the need. Is there an epidemic of permit holders breaking the law, because they do not know the law? Do we have permit holders injuring or killing because they are inaccurate in a defense situation.

I think the question is a solution in search of a problem.
I agree with this, it's not a widespread epidemic of safety concern, but in as much as there is TONS of wasteful spending by our Govt, I'd be in for a FREE class( tax payer free Lol or even a Non Profit organization) that is NOT mandatory by Govt but optional sign up to help beginners learn Safety Instructions.
Obviously if the Tax payers started paying for safety classes, politicians would add and add and that would go down a Govt Requirement road that would defeat the purpose and limit the 2nd Amendment.
But it would be nice to know when people are carrying that most people can go take a free course and not see anything like this while practicing Lol

IMG_20170103_151437045.jpg

Just like Drivers Ed in High school it should be an option, possibly with the fees being deducted from your Permit.
NC required a class prior to getting your concealed carry License and I actually think it was pretty good. The class mainly focused on State Laws on when you could and could not shoot, If you are the instigator you can not shoot, if the instigator retreats you can't shoot etc.. then they made you take a basic 7 yard qualification test.

once again, option not mandatory.

RedX, back in our day, driver's ed was an option. Your parents may require it, and maybe your auto insurance company would require it to add you as an authorized driver on that vehicle, but wasn't the law.
It is now, at least if you want your D/L at age 16.
If you wait until age 17, you don't have to take a formal class, but you still have to do 40 hours of "adult supervised" driving, and show proof of that do get your regular license.

http://www.dds.ga.gov/faqs/index.aspx?faqcategoryid=11

RedX, back in our day, driver's ed was an option. Your parents may require it, and maybe your auto insurance company would require it to add you as an authorized driver on that vehicle, but wasn't the law.
If you wait until age 17, you don't have to take a formal class, but you still have to do 40 hours of "adult supervised" driving, and show proof of that do get your regular license.

That is a privilege, not a right.

We are taught about our other rights in elementary school. I say it should start there.

I remember firearms safety classes in both elementary and high school.

I'm opposed to a training requirement generally. Mixed feelings on the topic. I do recommend training however when asked, especially by new shooters/owners.
I spent hundreds of dollars on required 'training' to get my out of State Idaho permit years ago. Worthless to me since I learned nothing new but had to go through the motions. Some folks carrying scare hell out of me and I've been present at no less than 5 NDs. Still, I'm opposed to being required to take a class.

Drive around for a couple of hours and it will become painfully obvious that state mandated training achieves nothing but creating a "training industry."

Everyone but me should be required to train every day of their lives. I don't care how much it costs them. And the minimum value of firearm carried should be a glock. Hipoints should be illegal. And you must pray before holstering your weapon every morning.

Back
Top Bottom