• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AITA for not training folks for free?

Well it's not like you don't deserve it.

Don't start nuttin' won't be nuttin'
I do deserve it in this Forum. I have started some messed up crap. It's my Jim Jones recipe. Some drink and some don't. Is doesn't affect me one bit. I get more of a kick out of it than anybody. It's all for a good laugh. That's all. In life it's all meaningless. I makes no difference and I don't have anything to prove. Anybody that knows me in person knows exactly what I am all about. This forum is just entertainment to me that's all. Some of you take this stuff way to seriously and to those who make a career out this stuff I have only tried to refer you to those in need.

I missed the part where I ordered the Vess word salad with extra ****ed up references to Jim Jones and a side how meaningless life is. If it's all in good fun and meaningless then treat it that way.

I do deserve it in this Forum. I have started some messed up crap. It's my Jim Jones recipe. Some drink and some don't. Is doesn't affect me one bit. I get more of a kick out of it than anybody. It's all for a good laugh. That's all. In life it's all meaningless. I makes no difference and I don't have anything to prove. Anybody that knows me in person knows exactly what I am all about. This forum is just entertainment to me that's all. Some of you take this stuff way to seriously and to those who make a career out this stuff I have only tried to refer you to those in need.

I missed the part where I ordered the Vess word salad with extra ****ed up references to Jim Jones and a side how meaningless life is. If it's all in good fun and meaningless then treat it that way.
Life isn't meaningless. I just have to laugh now days or make people laugh. I have turned a stone in my older years. Life is tuff for everyone but it's how you look at things that can make it worse or better. Forum antics are not important in the grand scheme of things. I am completely content now and I will remain that way regardless of post in here. It just doesn't matter to me. To be kind to everyone I know and make someone laugh can improve someone's life even for a second. Even if I have to be the brunt of the joke that's what it's all about in here for me. I just don't take it seriously and get all bent out of shape about it.

I made a comment a while back, stating that I don't train folks for free, and that I guess I'm an ass for stating so. Apparently, it pissed at least a few folks off.

It COSTS me money to train someone. Costs me money just to take a friend to the range to plink around. Costs me money to take myself to range and just train MYSELF, all by my lonesome.

As a professional Instructor with an LLC, I maintain over $3 million in professional liability insurance, which I pay a yearly fee for. Goes everywhere I go.

I train on a piece of private property that isn't open to the public. I pay to use that.

My paper/cardboard/steel/moving targets, 1x2's, spray paint, batteries, timers, and target frames are all paid for by me. They get shot up/wore out/used up, they have to be replaced. Fuel to get to the range and back, and whatever ammo I shoot while demonstrating.

By far, the biggest expense to me is the time that I expend. Now that I'm "retired", I have 4 jobs. I'm at my full-time job 5 days a week. I try and take care of what I need to do for my other 3 jobs on the 2 days that I am "off".

My go-to plan for my 2 days off per week is to spend as much of that time as possible with my family. If I'm going to do anything for anyone for free on those 2 days, it will be my family, not a stranger I met on the internet. Folks that want me to take time away from my family will have to pay for that time. To do otherwise would mean that I value time spent with strangers as much as the time I spend with my family. Not even close.

I never ask anyone to do anything with compensation. To do otherwise means that I do not value their time, which is an insult.

Semper Fi!
Believe me buddy, it's not just you that people do this to. I have an electrical business and somehow or another my "friends" always think it's normal for me to come to their house, bring all of the tools that I've paid for, and materials that I have and "help" them with their rewires, additions, etc. Knowledge is money, time is money, etc., etc. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind helping friends out but I never ask anyone for help without offering or providing compensation. My close friend and cousin always says that you can divide people into two groups - givers and takers. Sounds like the guy that harassed you is a taker...F'em.

Not completely unrelated to this thread…

I worked with a guy who was the salt of the earth, give you the shirt off his back kinda nice. He was a little eccentric, a little awkward sometimes, but very smart, goofy but nice and a genuinely good guy. Anyway, he got in the crosshairs of one of the “cool kids” at work, next thing you know, he was on everyone’s radar. Soon he was the butt of everyone’s jokes and became the workplace punching bag. One day, I asked him why he put up with it and didn’t fight back or leave and he said, “if it gives them meaning to their lives, I’m happy to oblige. Besides, I’m strong enough to take it. If they spend their time focusing on me, they’re leaving someone else alone who may not be able to take it.”

I think about him a lot. Funny how the clique-ish politics of high school flows into the work place and our adult lives. Some kids grow up, others don’t. Or won’t.

Back
Top Bottom