• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

One wasnt enough

N.Ga.Trader

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
197   0
Reaction score
Trying to get an idea of what I need to do, to be prepared to head there this weekend. I'm looking to purchase my first garand, I'd like to have one with history but something I can shoot without hurting future value.

The folks behind the counter have TONS of information and are super helpful! Don't forget extra money for that 10% sales tax.

Can you hurt a Garand's value by shooting it? Honestly, I don't think you can...

I've got a pre-war and a 1944 model.

The thing I look for is a low Muzzle Erosion (ME) and a low Throat Erosion (TE) on the barrel. You should have more life left in the barrel the lower the numbers.

Are you planning to take it to the Talladega range afterwards and shooting it? So jealous!

alleycat alleycat and @will4me

Rifle “toe tag”
DBBCEAC6-5D3E-4CCC-ADF7-2CF8349E0414.jpeg

Talladega store
A311E1A6-6E31-42FE-926B-32494A79C662.jpeg

South store
7C7F2F72-95FC-4D23-9889-1B8D48D4A189.jpeg

Trying to get an idea of what I need to do, to be prepared to head there this weekend. I'm looking to purchase my first garand, I'd like to have one with history but something I can shoot without hurting future value.

OP: Here are a few thoughts, feel free to pm me if you have other questions:

-have an idea on what you want and your price range before you go. Choices include receiver maker, usgi or replacement stock, appearance, finish. Matching parts or not, replacement barrel or new barrel, etc etc

-weapons are grouped on the racks by type, grade, and features. They are restocked before opening and sometimes in the afternoon

-fill out your paperwork in advance and have everything with you that is needed https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/m1-garand/

-get there a little before opening and go straight to the store. The line gets very long on saturdays and only two people are allowed in the store at a time. 4-6 folks in South store are allowed. There will be 10-20 people waiting outside of the south store at opening time on Saturday and 5-10 at the Talladega store

-tell Sherri or whoever is working a little about what you’re looking for and they will point it out for you to save time

-the guns are tagged with ME and TE readings, and other info. They will help you wade through the 150-200 weapons available

-plan on buying two. Lol

-bring a cleaning kit and oil if you plan to shoot it on the same trip. They will not be lubricated from storage

AC

Thanks for all the info, I'm pretty excited. I'm pretty much after one of my unicorns, since I've gotten into firearms in the last ten years or so, a garand has been at the top of the list. I've had other surplus rifles, and I definitely enjoyed learning the history behind them but it still wasnt the American history of the garand or any of the other numerous American military firearms.

Back
Top Bottom