• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Once fired Winchester 30-06 brass problem

I was given some 30-06 range brass last year that had some cases in there that were a real problem to resize. I tried a lot of different techniques, and a lot of products, and I hate to sound like a product shill but I found that Imperial Wax was the most successful, closely followed by lip balm.

I got some lube on a Q-Tip and just touched it inside the neck, and then put a thin coat on the whole brass, and hauled down on the press until the resistance became significant, then backed off. Reapply some more wax to the outside, put the brass back in the press but rotated a bit, do the same again. Some pieces took 7 or 8 cycles, the die going further down the case each time.

Some pieces - even then - were very resistant. What I found these cases had in common was not so much the headstamp, but if the brass had come from a fluted chamber. I think this makes sense because as the brass expands in such a chamber, it works the metal more.

I have a couple of presses, and I did this resizing on the meatiest thing I had - an RCBS Rockchucker.

Expect to just write some of the cases off if the technique above doesn't work. It's not worth breaking your press just to reuse a few cases.

Back
Top Bottom