• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Once fired Winchester 30-06 brass problem

galaxy-quest-never-give-up.gif

Pull your press handle all the way down, adjust your full length resizing die down until it contacts the shell holder, then screw down 1/4 turn. Sometimes that isn't enough. You may have to turn your die 1/2 turn after contact with shell holder in order to get the brass resized sufficent enough for it to chamber without any difficulty.
Will do

I don't shoot 30-06 but have reloaded hundreds of rounds for a now deceased buddy.
He used to bring me some of the most Godawful brass I've ever seen as far as length and shoulder placement.
I had hash marks on my resizing die just for the different ba$tard ones that would show up.
Worked for me, Good Luck!

I don't shoot 30-06 but have reloaded hundreds of rounds for a now deceased buddy.
He used to bring me some of the most Godawful brass I've ever seen as far as length and shoulder placement.
I had hash marks on my resizing die just for the different ba$tard ones that would show up.
Worked for me, Good Luck!
What got me was the raw once fired Winchester brass from the unknown rifle would not fit down my chamber 3/4 of the way, it like the sides of the case ballooned, the case length was 2.486 as I got them.

Could have been too hot. No telling the powder charge the first time. :fear:
I've actually turned some brass before, in trying to get a decent neck dimension.
That's a last resort for me, unless I'm doing match rounds.

You also don't know the chamber dimensions of the first rifle to shoot these.

Could have been too hot. No telling the powder charge the first time. :fear:
I've actually turned some brass before, in trying to get a decent neck dimension.
That's a last resort for me, unless I'm doing match rounds.

You also don't know the chamber dimensions of the first rifle to shoot these.

If they were shot in a full auto this could be a problem , but my guess is lube the inside of the case neck make sure the shell holder and the die make firm contact each stroke, good luck

I pick up some once fired Winchester 30-06 ammo from other odt member, the brass looks great, it wasn’t very dirty still shiny,
I cleaned it and the lubed and tried to run it through my Forster die and it won’t go! It gets stuck I almost broke the table trying to pull the handle, I cleaned the die, polished the inside of it, still the same tried the empty case in two rifles, both would not close with bolt, Remington, herters, armscor all work great, has anyone run into this problem?
Lube the inside of your dies with a Q tip

Back
Top Bottom