• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Once fired Winchester 30-06 brass problem

Jamescg

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
President of the neckbeard club
96   0
Reaction score
I pick up some once fired Winchester 30-06 ammo from other odt member, the brass looks great, it wasn’t very dirty still shiny,
I cleaned it and the lubed and tried to run it through my Forster die and it won’t go! It gets stuck I almost broke the table trying to pull the handle, I cleaned the die, polished the inside of it, still the same tried the empty case in two rifles, both would not close with bolt, Remington, herters, armscor all work great, has anyone run into this problem?

Sounds like either the shoulder isn't being set back far enough or the length is too long.
The headspace can be correct but if the neck has lengthened by repeated firing, it will jam against the forward edge of the cartridge chamber. I set my trimmers to trim to length to 2.486" and check them after every 2 firing and when they get to 2.492", I trim them again. I trim after resizing, not before resizing. If your dies worked for previous brass, the possibility that they are the culprit is small.

Sounds like either the shoulder isn't being set back far enough or the length is too long.
The headspace can be correct but if the neck has lengthened by repeated firing, it will jam against the forward edge of the cartridge chamber. I set my trimmers to trim to length to 2.486" and check them after every 2 firing and when they get to 2.492", I trim them again. I trim after resizing, not before resizing. If your dies worked for previous brass, the possibility that they are the culprit is small.

It’s just the Winchester brass the other brands size easy.

"just the Winchester brass"
Check OAL. Trim. Try again. My guess would be that you aren't setting the shoulder back enough in the sizing operation to get proper headspace for your gun. The 30/06 uses the shoulder to headspace on, and chambers can vary in headspace dimension from gun to gun as long as it is in the range of allowance per SAAMI spec. If it won't size without breaking your arm, trash it. JMHO.

Pull your press handle all the way down, adjust your full length resizing die down until it contacts the shell holder, then screw down 1/4 turn. Sometimes that isn't enough. You may have to turn your die 1/2 turn after contact with shell holder in order to get the brass resized sufficent enough for it to chamber without any difficulty.

Back
Top Bottom