• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Official ODT Silver Thread

I know this is a silver thread. However I have a question about 10k gold. Got this ring as part of an estate. It is marked 10k and is solid. I have researched how gold fill jewelry is marked and this is legit 10k. Any idea about value?
The r is a manufacture mark. I found it also
image.jpg
image.jpg

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that 10k gold is approximately 41.6% pure (10k/24k pure gold =.41667)
So multiply the weight of the ring (minus any gems) by .41667 to get the gold weight, then multiply by gold spot price of around $1867 to get the gold value. The tricky part is estimating what any non-metal (gems or ornaments on the ring) might weight. I can't tell from your picture if that has a gem on it, or just has a design on the face of the ring.

For example if the ring weighs 15 grams
15g x .41667 = 6.25005 grams of gold
Convert that to troy ounces
6.25005 ÷ 31.103 = .20094 ounce
.20094 x $1867 (spot price per ounce) = $375.15 worth of gold

Pretty accurate. I do both gold and silver. I collect 90% myself, and have a few customers that I sell 90% too but for the most part I only deal in bullion.

You can calculate the scrap value but jewelry is so finicky with the premiums that you may sell it for more, but most likely close to spot.

Question for the group. I think for Christmas this year I'm going to buy myself either a 1oz gold eagle or krugerrand. My local guy wants 15% premium and that seems high to me. Probably going to order from JM unless someone has a better solution. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom