• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

ODT vs. Pawn shop

I would have loved to have your Smiths, no funds equals, no deals. The key in selling anything is getting your items for sale in front of as many potential buyers as possible. As much as I love the ODT and the Smith guys on here, not everyone is looking for a Smith revolver. I would have suggested putting the items up for sale on the two S&W forums, or putting them on GunBroker. Nationwide exposure, exposure to actual S&W enthusiasts, will factor in to what you can get and how quickly they will sell. I would almost guarantee that your two Smiths will be on GunBroker very shortly, if not already, for half again as much as they gave you, maybe for more.

Your thread flies in the face of those on this site who continuously complain about prices on ODT being higher than Pawn Shops. Guess they DON'T know all the prices do they? While I am glad for you, in that you sold them at a fair price, I still believe that ODT is a great place to buy/sell, and will have some very good deals from time to time.

Last edited:
I would have loved to have your Smiths, no funds equals, no deals. The key in selling anything is getting your items for sale in front of as many potential buyers as possible. As much as I love the ODT and the Smith guys on here, not everyone is looking for a Smith revolver. I would have suggested putting the items up for sale on the two S&W forums, or putting them on GunBroker. Nationwide exposure, exposure to actual S&W enthusiasts, will factor in to what you can get and how quickly they will sell. I would almost guarantee that your two Smiths will be on GunBroker very shortly, if not already, for half again as much as they gave you, maybe for more.

Your thread flies in the face of those on this site who continuously complain about prices on ODT being higher than Pawn Shops. Guess they DON'T know all the prices do they? While I am glad for you, in that you sold them at a fair price, I still believe that ODT is a great place to buy/sell, and will have some very good deals from time to time.

Wish we could have made deal also. I like to list things on here to give our group first dibs and possibly get a trade I might be thinking about.

As for GB, yes they sell on there and most likely will be on there soon. Their usual mark up in the price range I sold them for is about $200 both on GB and instore, but when they are on display they'll come down $50-$100 from marked price. I did a good bit GB a while back along with fleabay, just got tired of the fees, shipping, paypal, waiting, and did I say the shipping hassle.

''Your thread flies in the face of those on this site who continuously complain about prices on ODT being higher than Pawn Shops. Guess they DON'T know all the prices do they? ''……Glad someone was able to read between the lines and yes The ODT is a great place I was just ranting.

Similar story happened to me. I couldn't get a Model 36, 3inch sold on here for $300 but took it to a pawn shop and got offered $350....

Some things just don't move... It happens..

They actually paid $1250 cash?

WOW!

I don't think I have ever had a pawn shop offer even 30% of the value of a gun.

But I do agree with your sentiment. Something has changed on the ODT. Seems like there are far fewer serious buyers out there. Not sure why.
Could be that all the damn craigslisters are scaring them off.
(Those clowns have multiplied like crazy in the last year or so. You know-the guys with zero feedback who say "just send me a txt bro-I don't check PMs much.")

They actually paid $1250 cash? WOW!I don't think I have ever had a pawn shop offer even 30% of the value of a gun. But I do agree with your sentiment. Something has changed on the ODT. Seems like there are far fewer serious buyers out there. Not sure why. Could be that all the damn craigslisters are scaring them off.(Those clowns have multiplied like crazy in the last year or so. You know-the guys with zero feedback who say "just send me a txt bro-I don't check PMs much.")
Less income, higher cost of living= less money for guns.Not real hard to figure out IMHO.

To be honest, the pawn shops here in Atlanta are your competition. Your same guns used in great condition could be negotiated and purchased locally here at a pawn shop. Yes, the benefit here is you can buy a gun without doing a -4473 and some people are skeptical about that in itself. Smaller, not as known pawn shops compete with Adventure Outdoors, Academy, Cherokee Pawn and even the gun ranges now for gun sales. So, they take in guns for a good price, mark it up almost double and then let the buyer talk them down to half of the markup and still make a profit. And like someone else mentioned, revolvers are seen to be an "Old Mans" gun. I'm a revolver lover myself because well, they just damn work. Nothing better than a Colt or a Smith or even a Ruger. So, good deal you got what you wanted for them. The shop you sold to may have been looking for those specific models you sold to them and already had a buyer which is awesome for both of you. But yeah, being OTP in Macon could be hurting you as well. Good deal bud.

Just my $0.02

This is most certainly not your average pawn shop. Even most of the good ones or decent gun stores normally would have given you at best maybe 2/3 of that.

the MO of almost every pawn shop is to give at best 1/2 to 2/3 what they think they can sell it for if even that much ...

I had a S&W 66-1 and 63 up for sale for almost a month. Started it off at what I thought was very fair, $700 each or $1,300 for the pair along with 300 .38 rounds. Sold the ammo to a friend for $60 and dropped the price on both guns to $650 each or $1,200 for the pair.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/639743-Item-Gone!-Reduced-S-amp-W-63-22lr-and-66-1-357

Now it may just be that I'm not in the loop or near it (285) but all ever got for offers were, what's your bottom dollar and can you meet at this or that area which would be about a 100mi round trip in my 14mpg truck.

So yesterday I said well maybe I'm to high on the price still, so I took them to my favorite pawn shop and asked what they would give me. Answer $1,250, Me said sold and thank you.

My ***** here is, I'm just *****ing. If a pawn shop can buy them for more than my bottom dollar for resale and I only had to drive 15mi round trip why did I bother listing them here in the first place.

I think it'll be a coffee with Bailey's morning

I understand. Nearly every potential buyer I had, wouldn't come few miles to Buford where I work. I live in Elberton 86 miles to the East and they would still ask me to come the rest of the way to them, just to look at it. I never even had a promise of purchase. The only one I went to meet, didn't even show up. I guess location is everything.

Back
Top Bottom