• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ODT it's time to get serious..training and tactics 101. School the whole dang forum.

10thmountain

Default rank 5000+ posts
American Warhorse.
121   0
Reaction score
cmshoot cmshoot P protective measures and all the other instructors. I want to know besides the obvious.....what can the average Joe do in this time with ISIS inspired idiots now in Chattanooga? blasting up recruitment centers... how should we respond? ....what can we do to help? What can this brotherhood of Men living in this time with the enemy within do? I know the simple answer is to always carry. But what in the hell am I going to do if someone is blasting away at Kroger. How do you train for that? What are some simple steps to take and how to react.

I know this is a huge subject and topic but it bothers me more and more.

I guess I am going to enroll in a class.

Sure there is something you can do.
Hone your skillsets.

It has been a pleasure meeting & training so many people from so many different backgrounds but my favorite students are the ones that take what they've learned & keep building on that foundation.
In training just like many other things in life you, "Use it or lose it" plus you get out of it what you put in it.

I have little doubt that had some of my top shooters (or any other highly trained "civvie" shooters) been there they would have had a very good chance of recognizing & reacting quickly & effectively if returning fire was a reasonable option.

Pistol vs. long gun is most often a very tough tactical problem to solve but if the shooter is focused elsewhere & you have the element of surprise along with the confidence & competence to use a pistol you are very familiar with using under stress the odds are of course better than those who are not trained to a higher level.

Most, almost all shooters in life or death fights get tunnel vision so a flanking or outright ambush attack could be decisive against an active shooter.
An additional challenge is remembering to look for additional threats (that you ALWAYS assume are there)... which will include responding L.E. who will most likely be jacked up on adrenaline & might shoot you by mistake.

Last edited:
1. Situational awareness.
a. Avoid bad situations/areas when possible.
b. If caught in a bad situation, get out.
c. If you can't get out, assault the threat. Speed, aggressiveness and violence of action.

2. Proper training and mindset. Like protective measures said above, train your body and your mind. One ain't nearly as effective as both together.

a. Always carry, or have readily accessible, the "best" weapon system you are capable of. Murphy says that the day you throw that NAA .22Mag in your pocket to go to the Piggly Wiggly is the day you're gonna need a G19

b. ALWAYS Acarry a minimum of 1 reload on your person. In a gunfight (not a shooting) statistics say you will fire every round in your weapon.....at a minimum.

4. If you carry a firearm on a regular basis, you need to have a self-defense attorney on retainer 24/7, or legal protection through an organization such as USCC or similar.

Not saying all this to sell my services, but I offer a course called Residential Room Clearing & Response to Active Shooter. It's a 3 level course with 2 days per level, culminating in exercises in a live-fire shoothouse.

Typed this off-the-cuff, in a hurry, on my iPhone. Just finished Day 2 of a Long Range course I'm running, as well as putting over 200rds out of a semi-automatic .338 Lapua. Dehydrated, baked to a crisp, filthy and happy!

SEMPER FI!

Last edited:
There is a relatively famous instructor that said a quote. I won't name him. I don't think super highly of him but he does say some good stuff from time to time. He's got the mindset down pat. Some of his other traits could be put in the wild card section.

He said- if you have more weapon systems than you have training certificates, you are wrong.

I believe any one who carries a weapon system needs some basic things. First being a mindset. Ask yourself if you pull that weapon can/will you be able to use it if need be? If not then don't carry Cuz you just gave a bad guy a gun. So get some warrior mindset training. If you have the mindset already than GREAT!!! Now that you are able and willing to use the thing you need to train in its deployment. Take classes damnit!! It's fun. You get to shoot and be around like minded people!!! You think medieval swordsman just bought and collected swords?! No they trained! paying for some further education in a subject that we clearly like is a no brainer. Train damnit!! This shouldn't even be brought up! Just go train!!

Don't go looking for a fight at anytime-ever. However if one busts in your front door, or your child's school, or church on Sunday, then guess what sucka?! You guessed right! Your gonna use your training and handle that business!!!

I am blown away by the pro level responses. Wow.

This is FANTASTIC ADVICE.

a. Always carry, or have readily accessible, the "best" weapon system you are capable of. Murphy says that the day you throw that NAA .22Mag in your pocket to go to the Piggly Wiggly is the day you're gonna need a G19

b. ALWAYS Acarry a minimum of 1 reload on your person. In a gunfight (not a shooting) statistics say you will fire every round in your weapon.....at a minimum.

I would recommend Jeff Cooper's "principles of personal defense" to anyone who wants to understand the mindset of a warrior. It is a good, pretty short read that gives a lot of great information. It is excellent to read before and after training sessions. It can be found at various book outlets. I think I paid $6 for my copy on EBay before I cancelled my account with those numb nuts.

Back
Top Bottom