• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Non lethal alternative?

At a minimum, use of projectiles from a pepper ball gun would be battery in the state of Georgia, as they leave visible marks.

Being used by a private citizen, to shoot another citizen, while they’re on public property, attempting to damage/deface/remove/topple a statue, with the intent of stopping them from those actions, sounds like a good way to end up in jail.

Battery is “acceptable” in Georgia, under certain circumstances, but that incident wouldn’t fit.

The big difference that makes a Taser, baton, pellet ball gun, etc., a lethal weapon in one person’s hands and non- or less-lethal in another’s is training and certification.

When LE is trained in the use of a Taser, they are trained to target areas that are proven to not endanger the suspect’s life, while avoiding those areas that could cause death. For instance, you don’t target the face and neck.

When trained with the ASP or Monadnock expandable batons, LEO’s are trained in what areas are “green”, which are “yellow” and which are “red”. Intentionally striking a suspect in a “red” area, such as the head, neck, and spine, is Deadly Force. LEO’s know this and avoid those areas......unless Deadly Force applies.

Someone that has not been properly trained and certified in those tools will target whatever areas they feel like. I’ve worked more assault and battery cases then I can count. What part of the victim’s body did most of the suspects target? The head and neck. It’s natural; we know what areas result in the most damage in the shortest amount of time and we instinctively target those.

It takes proper training to overcome that under stress and target the “safe” areas that result in less damage. How many folks here have been in a fight and intentionally targeted the middle of the thigh or forearm? Very few, I’d bet. We know that strikes to those areas cause less damage, so we don’t target those in a fight. LE is trained to target areas such as those.

Back
Top Bottom