• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

No I Can't

One more;

I was in the payphone business for 35 years (retired in 2017).
One day my daughter calls and asks if she can drop off my 7 year old grandson for an hour or two.
I said sure, bring him by.

Well on my desk was a 55 pound payphone that I was working on signage for.
"WHAT IS THAT", he said.
"A telephone", says I.
Eyes wide he says, "YOU CARRY THAT PAPA"!
That was a good laugh! :becky:

Not many years back ODTers would message me and ask where the nearest payphone was to them, so they could show their kids.
I'm still amazed how many payphones were lost in so few years, who would have ever thunk it!

Waiting to use the ONE pay phone in a dorm. Then calling home COLLECT (who remembers that) to speak with YOURSELF, hang up and fight off the dorm mates until the parents called back station to station to cut down on the long distance charges.

You didn't get gabby on long distance calls of any sort.

"Nice girls" always carried a nickel then a dime then quarter so they could always call home or an operator if a date went bad.

Absolutely and have not touched one since I sold my Mustang in 94. But when I bought my son a Mazda with a manual it came right back, I've also done the three on the tree too.

Some of the old three on tree's had to be finessed or they'd hang up between gears. Had an old '63 Chevy truck that I had to get under the hood a few times to line the levers back up and be able to shift. Usually happened because the shift tube was worn out.

Reading these comments reminds me of when I lived in Mexico City (over 40 years ago).

Three things to always carry in Mexico City:

A 20 centavos coin for pay phone

A map (I got lost at least once a week)

Toilet paper! (No rest room has any)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Waiting to use the ONE pay phone in a dorm. Then calling home COLLECT (who remembers that) to speak with YOURSELF, hang up and fight off the dorm mates until the parents called back station to station to cut down on the long distance charges.

You didn't get gabby on long distance calls of any sort.

"Nice girls" always carried a nickel then a dime then quarter so they could always call home or an operator if a date went bad.

We must be close in age, I remember the same things.
My Mom made sure my sisters always had "Mad Money". (Enough money for a phone call and a bus ride home.)
While in the service I did that same pay phone trick to get my Mom to call back the phone in the barracks. Making a collect person to person call and asking for me, lol.
We didn't miss a trick, did we....

We must be close in age, I remember the same things.
My Mom made sure my sisters always had "Mad Money". (Enough money for a phone call and a bus ride home.)
While in the service I did that same pay phone trick to get my Mom to call back the phone in the barracks. Making a collect person to person call and asking for me, lol.
We didn't miss a trick, did we....

we used to call the operator and tell them you got disconnected (pay phone) and they would ring the number free :becky:
Yep...i remember ! Always had dimes or quarters in the ashtray for phone calls.. lol

Some of the old three on tree's had to be finessed or they'd hang up between gears. Had an old '63 Chevy truck that I had to get under the hood a few times to line the levers back up and be able to shift. Usually happened because the shift tube was worn out.

Oh I wore one out in a 74 Comet doing the second to third shift and its a pain getting under the hood to put it in revers. I can also pop the clutch to start a manual with a dead battery.

Back
Top Bottom