• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Newb question on background check

There's some places that don't even tak GCWL! I know Harold's pawn shop in kennesaw don't!

Delayed? Usually after 3 days, the FFL is legally able to transfer the firearm but that's up to the FFL discretion.

My brother in an LEO and every time he has to go through a background check, it gets delayed.

Yes, I get delayed every time I go to buy a firearm from a dealer. The last LGS questioned the FBI, as I was standing there in full uniform and with police creds displayed. They could or would not give him an answer as to why. I refuse to dole out the $$ for a GWL, when I don't need one. I just deal with it. Most I've ever been delayed is 4 days though. I was told a few years ago its because I have a fairly common name. I don't really know or have a good answer for ya. Sorry.

It really only pisses me off when I get delayed and skippy the wonder thug with his britches sagging and his hat cocked off to the side comes in and fills out his paperwork and walks out 15 minutes later, gun in hand.

There is only a three business day hold. See question 21d.http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

Now some dealers count the next business day as day one.

So for instance, you get delayed on Fri, the day one is Monday, and day three is Wed, so Thursday is after three business days.

They, FBI/NICS, will never give a reason.

Sometimes we get a response the same day, or never.

We are not required to transfer the firearm, legally.

Some of the big box places will not accept GFL/GWCL, and will go the extra step of doing a background check. They want to cover themselves for liability reasons.

Ask the FBI for UPIN, Unique Personal Identification Number, it could help with the Delays.

Thanks a ton everyone.........this means I should be able to pick up on Tuesday instead of Thursday. I will still call tomorrow and confirm though.

I've never been delayed but I give my SSN. I heard that it helps with the process if one is given verses not given. What do yall think?

Yes.

The ONLY time I have ever been delayed before getting my GWL was the time I did not provide my SSN. It is no required, but there's a larger risk of being delayed if you choose not to provide it.

Thanks again to everyone for their help. I went in and was able to pick up the gun finally. No response ever came....I did provide my SSN on the paperwork. Is there a way for me to run a background check, including FBI on myself? I would just like to see if there is something out there I need to fix or correct.

Back
Top Bottom