New Location Prefix System Feedback & Suggestions, take two!

Do you like the New location system in the trading post?

• Yes, I love it!

Votes: 50 49.5%
  • I like it, but I want a few more regions added.

Votes: 20 19.8%
  • I liked it better the old way!

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • And of course, tacos. (Tacos means you don't care either way)

Votes: 17 16.8%

• Total voters
Here's a different idea. Use the city of Atlanta as a base point of reference. When we list something we put XX miles XX of Atlanta i.e., 20 miles NE of Atlanta for Duluth, 20 miles NW for Marietta etc.. If someone is 20 miles S of Atlanta then I know about how far away they are from me without having to use a decoder ring... If someone doesn't know how far they are from Atlanta they only have to mapquest it once. I know it sounds a little more complicated but some counties are 30 miles from end to end. Knowing the county helps but may cause you to pass on something that is nearer than you think not to mention the apparent issues with counties getting lumped into regions as mentioned in the previous posts.

The zones need to be a little different. I will drive to henry county, I wont drive to rome. There should be like a north side, east ,west , south, then the same thing for macon and what not. The way you had it at first was MUCH better. Ill drive around atlanta , about the span of 285. Other than that... nah, unless its a deal I just cant turn down.

Last edited:
Why not make it simple and make the city, or county (for the paranoid folk) mandatory to post?

I just want it to be a quick and easy "at a glance" type system. With city or county, I would actually need to go do a search as I probably do not know a quarter of the counties in the state, which would defeat the purpose of just getting a quick, general idea as to where an item is. Plus a two letter code is less intrusive to the thread title as the city or county name would be.

Why not make it simple and make the city, or county (for the paranoid folk) mandatory to post?

This is kind of funny and shows I wasn't lying in my previous post. For some reason I thought Lavonia was in South GA, then I just saw your ad about the rossi and saw the "NE"

Sorry, just thought of something else, one of the reasons I am trying this new system out is so people can search within these areas. You can narrow your search down to a certain thread prefix, for example you could make it only show results in NE, or Northeast Ga.

Steve I swear I just dont get it. I know you want to make things easier on folks but you already have a great site! If someone is interested in something, then do the "leg" work! My god, how long does it take and how complicated is it to do it your self?Eveybody wants someone else to do it for them.Next people will want you do their negotiations for them too!! Or hey Steve can you go pick up this trade for me! Maybe you can set up a voice recognition type forum so we wont even have to type! People just getting to lazy imo.

I love this site and enjoy looking through all the cool stuff people are selling and trading. thanks for your hard efforts

Its a step in the right direction to me.

I have to admit, I looked at the "decoder ring" and the first thing I thought was "What's so special about Hall county?" :-P

I'm not sure you can get the regions perfect though, everyone is going to have their own driving preferences which influences what they want. For example I'm in Lawrenceville, I won't drive south of Classic Marksman in Norcross but I'd be OK driving out to Athens which is probably 2x the distance just because i hate traffic. If the regions get too small it kind of breaks the system because to search you have to remember the 5-6 regions in your driving range.

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing is major highways added to the map just for clarity

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom