• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New Ford F-150 Lightning EV

No, you can just put a small diesel generator in the bed of the truck to charge the batteries and a 30 gallon diesel tank for the generator. Good to go.

This made me laugh. I remember years ago while selling RVs ad travel trailers, I had a customer who was pushing the limit of the max towing capability of his truck. I said don’t forget about all your gear. That adds weight too. He said, “I’ll just put all that stuff in the bed of the truck” :doh:

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a total electric vehicle? The hybrid was a great idea, the EV not so much. The battery tech still isn't there (8 hours downtime for charging?) Really! Trying to cram this down the American people's throats is going to backfire. All EVs are ultimately coal or natural gas burners (apparently for 8 hours a day!) This is the kind of thing you get when ideologues (ignorant ones at that) run your country.

or it could push auto makers to make more investment in improving EV’s. No one is forcing anyone to buy one as of yet, lol. Let folks experiment and test out the cars in mass and something great may come out of it.

I am eager to drive one. I think the 300 mile range (with the upgraded batteries) is a problem but let's see what happens in the next year, I am sure it will be a year behind schedule.

or it could push auto makers to make more investment in improving EV’s. No one is forcing anyone to buy one as of yet, lol. Let folks experiment and test out the cars in mass and something great may come out of it.
I'm retired and don't travel much so I could conceivably reasonably operate with a 'charge-overnight' GOOD truck (I like my 2010 F150). What would concern me is the installation cost of a say 50-60 amp, 220v service charge feed. I was a Class III electrician and in my home, that's not an easy or cheap cost. And then I'd also have to see how my home insurance company thinks about that, cost wise...

No, you can just put a small diesel generator in the bed of the truck to charge the batteries and a 30 gallon diesel tank for the generator. Good to go.
I suppose I should have noted that a generator capable of maintaining 80amp output (part of which will be absorbed by the charger/rectifier) will not be a "small diesel". Regardless, if one is actually driving the vehicle, 80amps will not maintain the required voltage for the car to travel more than about 25mph or so. My educated guess anyway base on (and lack of interest in) the sketchy details.

Back
Top Bottom