• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New, but it feels like home.

IMG_0381.gif

First off welcome to the jungle. Secondly I used to live in Oklahoma for 5 years. In the farthest southwest corner of the state you can point out on the map. A little town called Frederick. It was right between and a little west of Altus and Lawton. Fort Sill Army base was in Lawton and Altus Air Force Base well was in Altus. Some of you military boys or bratts might know the area by those two military installations.
Man, that's a rough place to call home. Not as bad as the panhandle, but not too exciting. I like visiting the area for hunting though. Did a good amount of work during my stay in the oil business near Vernon and Quanah.

Man, that's a rough place to call home. Not as bad as the panhandle, but not too exciting. I like visiting the area for hunting though. Did a good amount of work during my stay in the oil business near Vernon and Quanah.
Yeah Vernon was a real close drive from Frederick. And the hunting along the Red River was awesome in North fork of the Red where I did a lot of hunting.
Frederick is a dead town now but it used to be lively when I worked there because Shlagal was the big business that made the door seals for general motors and they were really pumping out business at that time. But they left the area and it just went downhill, it's nothing now.
I used to hunt everything from bobcat, coyote, hogs, jackrabbits, deer and quail by the loads. Some of the best quail hunting territory in America second to I believe Nebraska I believe is the number one quail state. Dove hunting was big as well. When you drove through the area you would think there was no wildlife there but it was teeming with wildlife in the right areas also turkey I forgot to mention. Turkey and fields so many of them you couldn't count them.
It was a great place to call home in high school. We were somewhat sheltered from all the pitfalls of the big city living. Everyone knew everyone and it was a real close-knit community. It was still racially divided back then though which was a a big deal. I actually got a bad rep there because I partied with a lot of the African-American, Indian and Latino community. I didn't care though if they were funny and we're into having a good time I was all about it. Also the fishing was dynamic especially on Tom Steed Lake.
Me and my best friend had a really good time growing up there. Well in the five years that I lived there anyway. We had so much fun it should have been illegal. Some of it actually was but not too bad, nothing real insane. Just doing a little drinking and partying. Not to mention drag racing all the time out on those straight roads.

There was a very long bridge it was one mile long that separated Texas from Oklahoma. It was about a two maybe three story drop from the bridge to the river. During the dry season that River was nothing more than just a sparsely pooled shadow of what it could be. The drop was consistent from border to border. During the rainy season and storm season actually saw that water over the bridge which was truly amazing to witness.

LOL, there's a difference between a tall tale and a lie.......As long as everybody knows it.........

😂 Yep, I hadn’t thought of it that way. I drunk posted on here back when the Doc had me on enough pain meds to kill a freakin’ Clydesdale AND I had a “few sips” of either Jack Daniels or Jim Beam and I don’t remember for sure, but I may or may not have told a few whoppers before I went to sleep that night. Lol!

Back
Top Bottom