• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

New and Confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome.... LOL about the BOS.... Do what you want and if the buyers doesn't want it, move on to the next buyer.... Everyone has their own opinion about them....

Reactions: btk
help me understand.... guy buys a gun from me. i dont get a BOS. guy kills someone. cops trace the gun to back me. they come to my door and ask me to see the gun. i tell them i sold it last night. i assume - they say great, show me the proof.. i say i dont have any. they just say ok and leave?

How exactly would they "trace" the gun back to you? there is no firearm registration in Georgia, therefor there is no record that the gun is yours. To trace the gun back to you, the cops would first have to go to the manufacture to find out where the gun was shipped after build, then trace that to the store where the gun was sold, then that store would have to run through ALL of their paperwork to find the serial number of that gun, and they would have to check the records on every gun they have sold since the weapon arrived at their store. And for some stores thats a whole lot of guns, It just wouldn't happen. The NICS doesn't get the serial number of your gun when you purchase it. The only thing that happens over the phone is the store calls, gives them your info, and the NICS tells them if its okay for you to buy a gun or not, they don't ever know even the brand of gun that you are buying.

And even then there is no way to verify if the firearm was ever at another shop after the original new purchase. Possession is 9/10ths of the law and when they find the gun, they have likely already found the shooter (or some other poor sap who bought the gun from them) with the weapon in his possession unless the serial number is on file as stolen. Really a BOS does more to protect a buyer then a seller, that being said I still don't want a bill of sale, Its more likely that you will have a break in and the information stolen so someone could get a drivers licence in my name, and there by credit then I will ever need that proof of where I got the gun and that I got it after said shooting incident or theft. It doesn't take much information to steel an identity now a days. All it takes is 1 misplaced piece of mail so the less information you have out there the better.

Am I paranoid? probably, but it helps me sleep better at night and in the end thats all that matters. That being said if I had to have what you were selling and you weren't going to do it without a BOS I would suggest that we meet at a gun shop and pay the fee to let the gun shop do the transfer and backround check, that way you have the warm fuzzy that there is some record out there of the sale and that I'm not a felon, and I have the warm and fuzzy that a gun shop has my information and not you, and they are in the business of protecting that information because if they don't the ATF will destroy them

Welcome to the ODT. WARNO: This site is not responsible addicting habits such as for long hours spent on the computer nor the endless amounts of money spent on firearms and firearm accessories

Reactions: btk
Just curious if you know your screen name shares the name of a famous serial killer? Not sure if I wanna do any trading with you, especially no dark alleys. :)

Seriously ? After all this since Friday afternoon and the gun hasn't been posted? Come on BTK - at least amuse us with your BOS required weapon. You just might sell it..... Welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom