• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need some revolver help

Swann25

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
4   0
Reaction score
So my friend brought me his taurus revolver .44 and told me he held the trigger and cocked the hammer. Now the thumb piece stays forward and the cylinder won't stay in place. The hammer also won't pull back unless you hold the thumb piece back into place. Any idea of what happened. I'm not used to revolvers but I want to fix this for him. Thanks for your time.

Sounds like the spring on the cylinder release has been dislodged. If you are comfortable removing the side plate, you very well may find the spring rolling around in there and be able to put it back where it belongs. If not send it back to Taurus and let them fix it for free.

Sounds like the spring on the cylinder release has been dislodged. If you are comfortable removing the side plate, you very well may find the spring rolling around in there and be able to put it back where it belongs. If not send it back to Taurus and let them fix it for free.
Thank you very much. I am comfortable pulling it apart just wanted to have some sort of idea of what I was getting into. I thought it was a spring but wasn't sure. Thanks for your time.

Before disassembling the side plate, take the pressure/tension off the mainspring. Remove the grip, cock the hammer, and place a paper clip in the bottom of stirrup. Hammer forward, Then remove the spring assembly, then side plate. :)

But first, before doing anything. Open the cyc, and see if there is spring pressure on the little pin in the center of the cyc. This pin is what pushes the cyc lock (thumb) latch backwards. The release button spring actually pushes the button forward, not back. If the spring inside the cyc tube is broke, the pin in the center of the cyc won't push the release back and lock the cyc. See picture below. The pin circled should have spring pressure on it. Check this first.

cyc pin.jpg

Back
Top Bottom