• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need some 1911 advice / recommendations

To meet most of your stated requirements in your OP, these are some that come to mind.

Colt Lightweight Commander
Most of the Kimber Pro models have aluminum frames
A used Dan Wesson Guardian has aluminum frame
Springfield LW Champion

ETA: S&W E Series guns Model SW1911Sc E-Series™, Round Butt, Scandium Frame
SIG has several Aluminum framed Commanders but I forget it's name RCS Nitron
For $1,500 you could possibly find a used Fusion Firearms semi custom built Commander with a aluminum frame.

As someone who has owned and carried several 4" 1911 models with the bull barrels, I much prefer the true Commander length guns with a bushing and GI spring set up instead of a FLGR. Ease of take down is the reason (no tools needed). YMMV

Last edited:
To meet most of your stated requirements in your OP, these are some that come to mind.

Colt Lightweight Commander
Most of the Kimber Pro models have aluminum frames
A used Dan Wesson Guardian has aluminum frame
Springfield LW Champion

ETA: S&W E Series guns Model SW1911Sc E-Series™, Round Butt, Scandium Frame
SIG has several Aluminum framed Commanders but I forget it's name RCS Nitron
For $1,500 you could possibly find a used Fusion Firearms semi custom built Commander with a aluminum frame.

As someone who has owned and carried several 4" 1911 models with the bull barrels, I much prefer the true Commander length guns with a bushing and GI spring set up instead of a FLGR. Ease of take down is the reason (no tools needed). YMMV

Thanks for all the info ! I never even thought about looking at S&W. Im seriously considering them. I love the round butts on them.
Few questions tho.

What is the difference between the e series and the normal ?
What is a FLGR ?
What do you mean by " true commander length" ?

Also, I checked out the Sig - looks nice but its only 7+1.

I might be wrong here but 7+1 just means the included mag. My Kimber Stainless came with 7+1 but I use 8 round CMC and Wilson Combat mags in it. They are all 8.

FLGR = full length guide rod.

Last edited:
E series guns are the latest guns in the 1911 line for S&W and had input from Hilton Yam of 10-8 Performance when being designed.

FLGR is a Full Length Guide Rod and in my opinion a solution looking for a problem. They can be a PITA to take down and un-assemble your gun. They can also break.

Commander is the term Colt came up with years ago when they started making a 4.25" slide and barrel with a bushing put on top of Government frames. When someone mentions a Commander 1911 it usually refers to a 4.25" barrel and Government framed 1911.

Government framed 1911s (full size frames) are made to accommodate 7 rounds in the mag. That is the most reliable round capacity for a flush fitting Government sized mag.
Most 1911 issues are mag related. The most reliable mags are 7 rounders. IMO.

Last edited:
True Commander sized/type guns use 4.25 inch barrels with bushings. Most 4 inch guns from Kimber, Springer use bull barrels with no bushing. The alloy frame limits your selection as most of the PI built guns are all steel. One of my favorite shooters is the Commander clone from American Classic. Not many companies make real blued guns that are affordable these days...

[Broken External Image]:

JRolin:809172 said:
Thanks for all the input.

I think I have it narrowed down to 2 models.
1) Kimber Super Carry Pro http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/super-carry/super-carry-pro
2) S&W E1911SC http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...70151_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Any other models I missed ? Im liking the rounded butt feature.

Any reason to chose one over the other ?

Between those I would say the E series. If anything just because it comes bobtailed from the factory. I would also look at a Dan Wesson CBOB or VBOB. You could probably find a used one for a little more than either of those, and they are great guns.

I've shot 2 of the S&W E series and I was impressed. IIRC, the E series do not have a firing pin block safety (ala Series 70 Colts)...

I'm not a Kimber fan, but they do make sexy guns.

Reasons I would go with the S&W is:
*Customer Service is pretty outstanding
*It is a true Commander length slide with a bushing
*Less expensive

ETA: NGIB is right, E series S&W 1911 are like Series 70 Colts. No firing pin block. IMO a plus for the S&W. Less parts to potentially fail, but it does mean that the gun could possibly discharged if dropped. Which is why it would be a good idea to use a Wolff Extra Power Firing Pin spring.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom