gth813x

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
174   1
Reaction score
need a grainage for the following load with unique and or titegroup
1.200" OAL
230 gr XTP

from what i'm gathering i can go up to 6.5 gr and still be under the +p pressure but i want those babies cookin.

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=45 ACP +P&Weight=All&t..

I don't see a unique but there are plenty of other options there.

Screen Shot 2012-12-28 at 12.09.58 PM.jpg

Just load a few going up a 1/4 to 1/2 grain steps at a time (or even more granular than that) and put them in zip lock baggies labelled and try them one step at a time until you encounter any signs of overpressure ... like flattened primers, primers feeding back into the firing pin hole, etc and then step back a little.... and they're less than $100 go get a chrony

Just my two cents, but the ole ACP ain't built for cookin'. You'll likely want some slower powders than what you've listed for a safe increase in velocity. Sounds like you may be in need of another more modern choice of caliber?

I am with you chuckdog. I don't see the need to decrease the service life of my weapon for a couple hundred fps more. I have never had an issue with with the old standard pressure stuff doing the job. The brass will also not last a long on higher pressure loadings. I think that maybe if you need more than the forty five can offer a magnum may be in your future.

so what's the highest powder charge of unique you all think i could go to stay in safe pressure levels for the specs i listed? someone was telling me there's a formula but if you go into the lee book there's a charge reduction formula but not an OAL formula

so what's the highest powder charge of unique you all think i could go to stay in safe pressure levels for the specs i listed? someone was telling me there's a formula but if you go into the lee book there's a charge reduction formula but not an OAL formula

Not to be confrontational but why do you want the highest charge?

Ok the load data in the Lee book doesn't have a load for that speed? I think that most standard loads for the forty five will do those speeds with no problem. The xtp is a good bullet that expands well at a lot of velocities. After you load it shoot it into a wet phone book and see what happens. I think you will be surprised. But hey it is a forty five it ain't gonna shrink. LOL

Back
Top Bottom