• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

My first try at a Get Home Bag

At my home I have a jobsite box with solar panels and an inverter. Beside it are stainless steel 33 gallon garbage cans. The beauty about the garbage cans is that you can stack 2 milk crates perfectly inside which makes for good organization of batteries, flashlights, FRS radios, night vision, and solar motion sensor flood lights. The later is good perimeter intrusion detection. All my faraday cages are daisy chained to a ground. I have plenty of ammo cans as well but I found that for the price of two ammo cans I could buy the garbage can brand new from tractor supply and it's made in the USA. And the plastic milk crates keeps everything from touching the metal.

Last edited:
Inbon, you seem to be squared away yourself brother. At my home I have a jobsite box with solar panels and an inverter. Beside it are stainless steel 33 gallon garbage cans. The beauty about the garbage cans is that you can stack 2 milk crates perfectly inside which makes for good organization of batteries, flashlights, FRS radios, night vision, and solar motion sensor flood lights. The later is good perimeter intrusion detection. All my faraday cages are daisy chained to a ground. I have plenty of ammo cans as well but I found that for the price of two ammo cans I could buy the garbage can brand new from tractor supply and it's made in the USA.

Thanks man. The social life went to hell but I can always barter for a companian down the road :rolleyes:

We started using the metal trash cans to store grain and rice/beans/etc because rats will have to earn their meal to get inside. Old metal drums work really well and can be found for free on a lot of concrete companies jobsites. (Concrete cure they use a lot of it).

a problem we did run into was by storing material (Food/medical supplies/etc) in a metal shed created a higher than ideal temprature so we emptied the shed out and insulated the building with sheet styrofoam. Any food we had stored in buckets went underground around the property. This way if we were ever overun we could peel back and survive a few days before coming back to visit the new inhabitants.

SOmething a lot of people forget to pick up is lime....your gonna need it for latrines and also desposing of any raiders that come to take whats yours.

I store my grains and legumes in 6 gallon food grade plastic buckets sealed in Mylar with oxygen absorbers. I started prepping before I purchased my house so I was able to acquire a 2000sq ft brick home on a 2000sq ft concrete tub basement. Luckily the temp down there stays pretty cool. I am also on a well and septic. And I have a backup deepwell hand pump on a check valve that feeds into my whole house system. So running water and flushing toilets after doomsday lol. I have several caches around the back 17 acres just in case of an overrun situation as well with a few of my earlier mentioned toys. If that doesn't work I have CS also. Like I said on the ferro rod thread, There's no cheating with survival. I definitely like throwing ideas at you, it's good to get good perspectives from other like minded people.

I store my grains and legumes in 6 gallon food grade plastic buckets sealed in Mylar with oxygen absorbers. I started prepping before I purchased my house so I was able to acquire a 2000sq ft brick home on a 2000sq ft concrete tub basement. Luckily the temp down there stays pretty cool. I am also on a well and septic. And I have a backup deepwell hand pump on a check valve that feeds into my whole house system. So running water and flushing toilets after doomsday lol. I have several caches around the back 17 acres just in case of an overrun situation as well with a few of my earlier mentioned toys. If that doesn't work I have CS also. Like I said on the ferro rod thread, There's no cheating with survival. I definitely like throwing ideas at you, it's good to get good perspectives from other like minded people.

We found the cheapest food grade buckets are from "Firehouse" subs they sell them for like $2 ea with the lid....they do smell like pickles though but who cares? to further seal the buckets we use 4" electrical tape that seals an additional seal around the already bucket seal. (So food in vacuum bags + 2 additional seals).

Yeah that is lucky for sure. I was talking with an engineer friend of mine about building a walk in "Root Celler" on his property since he has a large slopping hill we could cut into farely easy.

Root cellars are the way to go. I might put a "modified" :)
root cellar on the back edge of my woods. It's about 550yds back behind the house. I'd love to have an immediate fall back point that could potentially provide cover and store necessary items.

Root cellars are the way to go. I might put a "modified" :)
root cellar on the back edge of my woods. It's about 550yds back behind the house. I'd love to have an immediate fall back point that could potentially provide cover and store necessary items.

What about buying a miniture shipping container? Metro Trailer sells a lot of them here in ATL. You could put it into the hill side (similar to old sod houses) and have a secure facility to keep supplies in and in worst case fall back too.

Something we tried to do was make bucket caches that would fill several needs other than food. We put a means to cook, purifiy water, collect more food, shelter, etc all in each cache that way if you lose everything you can still fall back to your caches. Secondly, we decided to cache most of our barter items to be able to pick up small items when going into the trade centers (bound to form in all areas).

What about buying a miniture shipping container? Metro Trailer sells a lot of them here in ATL. You could put it into the hill side (similar to old sod houses) and have a secure facility to keep supplies in and in worst case fall back too.

Something we tried to do was make bucket caches that would fill several needs other than food. We put a means to cook, purifiy water, collect more food, shelter, etc all in each cache that way if you lose everything you can still fall back to your caches. Secondly, we decided to cache most of our barter items to be able to pick up small items when going into the trade centers (bound to form in all areas).

Well as you can already imagine our primary location is to bug in at our home. Our secondary location is a group members 30 acres of woods on a hill overlooking a secluded 15 acre pond that has 2 full-size containers in place and welded together further away from populated areas than our place. Our tertiary location is way up in the mountains accessible by 4x4 only one path in or out. It's a 30min drive on that path that crosses through a river 4 times and has so many pinch points it's a defenders wet dream. Back in there is a log cabin with 20" thick walls and a fire place. All three locations have planted orchards. The "root cellar" location I was referring to is inacessable by a 4 wheeler let alone anything that can put a shipping container in place. I'd like to keep it that way. I'm going to hand dig it. That'll be a group project over a couple weekends. It's just going to be a rally point more than anything else. Almost all of my caches are uniform though and include what you're
mentioning As well. I like .22lr and junk silver as barter items. Water purification includes straight chlorine pool tablets. There's also various batteries, flashlights, food items, simple clothing like socks, underwear, etc, topo maps, fire starting, snares and rat traps, salt, non hybrid garden seeds. I tried to think if I'm only able to get a hold of one cache when I ditch, what could keep us going.

Well as you can already imagine our primary location is to bug in at our home. Our secondary location is a group members 30 acres of woods on a hill overlooking a secluded 15 acre pond that has 2 full-size containers in place and welded together further away from populated areas than our place. Our tertiary location is way up in the mountains accessible by 4x4 only one path in or out. It's a 30min drive on that path that crosses through a river 4 times and has so many pinch points it's a defenders wet dream. Back in there is a log cabin with 20" thick walls and a fire place. All three locations have planted orchards. The "root cellar" location I was referring to is inacessable by a 4 wheeler let alone anything that can put a shipping container in place. I'd like to keep it that way. I'm going to hand dig it. That'll be a group project over a couple weekends. It's just going to be a rally point more than anything else. Almost all of my caches are uniform though and include what you're
mentioning As well. I like .22lr and junk silver as barter items. Water purification includes straight chlorine pool tablets. There's also various batteries, flashlights, food items, simple clothing like socks, underwear, etc, topo maps, fire starting, snares and rat traps, salt, non hybrid garden seeds. I tried to think if I'm only able to get a hold of one cache when I ditch, what could keep us going.

That was our plan as well on the caches.

Our primary location (bug out....I am not staying anywhere near here) is a pennisula with 200'+ of open water on all three sides and a primary choke point of about 22'. Plus from the flanks I can cover the choke point and lock down the pennisula if need be. Unfortunately, I do not have orchards started but am actively researching installing a spirulina farm throughout some of the properties. There is an old gold mine not to far from the primary that will serve as a secondary retreat (already pre staged with basic gear) secondly we put a cache on the far side of the water incase we had to make a run for it we could pick up on the far side and still outfit a small fireteam.

Our territiary location is an old family dairy farm that can be accessed from the same river that feeds into our primary location. Small amounts of food are being stored there but that is currently on the docket to get more funding.

In order to gurantee we have a way out three routes out have been determined and staged with cache....so if it all broke loose right now we have operating procedures to link up at subsequent rally points. "If this happen then enact X....this happens enact Y....etc" this way everyone is on the same page and ready to go.

To keep our skills sharp we spend about three weekends a month in the backcountry. People have BOB/INCH but never put them on and try to get around with.

I agree Manuvering with any sort of pack is a skill you don't want to learn on the fly. Your bugout plans seems somewhat linear which is very thought out. Our locations are not. We will have to discuss that among our group because our tertiary location isn't going to be something we could get to on foot from the secondary location. We may have to discuss a plan 3A lol in case foot travel is our only mode. The good thing about your tertiary location is that prepositioning a lot of gear may not be absolutely necessary because you can grab and go from the second location as you go hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom