My first 9mm re-loads

Brett

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
68   0
Reaction score
Tomorrow I'll be heading to the range to try my very first re-loads. I cast my own bullets out of ww and got 128gn round noses out of my Lee mold. Putting 5.6gn of power pistol on top of a Winchester primer. My finished OAL is 1.141, brass is assorted brands. I made a batch of 25 and 2 did not make it thru the plunk test in my barrel, so 23 are going with me. I think I chose a pretty mild load, as long as it goes bang I'll be happy if it cycles my pistol I'll be extremely happy. How does this sound? Any glaring problems I may be missing?

Sounds good. I'd have to check the OAL of 9mm but by memory it sounds fine. If you have to drive a bit to the range I would want to make several loads with different amounts of powder. When starting, working up a load for function may be an issue for some semi-autos and can vary by pistol design. It saves some time to test several batches at the range.

Don't get discouraged if the results are less than expected, learn and correct the issue. Semi-auto's need a nice crimp not too much not too little and enough juice to cycle the slide reliably.

Good job on casting your own. It's the one part of reloading that I have yet to participate in.

Last edited:
Well I was successful :) I pulled the trigger on my M&P 9C and a hole would magically appear in my target after a loud bang. :) I took some of the advice given and took 4 different loads with me. All fired and all cycled the action. I started with 5.5gn of Power pistol & 1.138 OAL 128gn cast then 5.7 & 1.138 ( favorite ) then 5.8 & 1.141 ( Smoky and flashy) last was 5.7 & 1.41 w/110gn cast. Both 5.7gn loads of PP gave me my best groupings of the lot. I did have some leading after 15 rounds so I need to solve that before I can find my perfect load. I used wheel weights un-quenched and the range owner thinks that is too soft so I may add some alloy to my bullet blend. So back to the press and make some more. :)

Awesome!

I have some experience with leading from soft cast bullets. Dad was removing strips of the stuff with just a patch and rod. After about 2-3 cylinders the bullets would start to keyhole.

Someone will post some suggestions. From reading as a kid Skeeter use to add some tin to his wheel weights to get them hard for loading. I don't know the ratio.

What kind of lube are you using?

Last edited:
Awesome!

I have some experience with leading from soft cast bullets. Dad was removing strips of the stuff with just a patch and rod. After about 2-3 cylinders the bullets would start to keyhole.

Someone will post some suggestions. From reading as a kid Skeeter use to add some tin to his wheel weights to get them hard for loading. I don't know the ratio.

What kind of lube are you using?

I am using Lee alox tumble lube. I have some 60/40 wiping solder ingots I am going to add to my ww to increase the tin in them. Getting the ratio right will take some trial though, unless I can borrow a hardness tester or purchase one. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom