• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

My 1911 CCO build progression - Build #2!!

redefined

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
40   0
Reaction score
Well the time has finally come for my second 1911 build! (Click for 1st build) I had been EDC'ing a Kahr P9 for a while and really wanted to standardize my carry and 'fighting' setup. While the Kahr was/is a great weapon there just is nothing like a well tunned 1911 trigger. So I sold my Kahr (to my Mother) and bought a Sig RCS. Well that lasted for a while until I really couldn't get over the fact how much I loved everything about my custom 1911 vs the 'out of the box' Sig feel, the 80 series part of the Sig didn't tickle my fancy either. So I sold my Sig (to my Father, haha!) and ordered a ton of parts to start my new build! This last weakened I finally pulled out the files and tools to get to work. Hopefully, time permitting, I'll have this thing running around the first of the year.

This time I plan take more pictures, even if they are cell phone pics, along the way. I've had the parts for probably 6 months sitting here by my desk, let the fun begin!

Parts list:

Fusion Aluminum Officers Frame
Fusion Stainless Steel Commander Slide
Fusion Barrel
Berryhill Ignition Set
Berryhill Trigger
CMC Grip Safety
Ed Brown Slide Stop
Ed Brown Thumb Safety
Ed Brown Hammer Strut
C&S Pin Set
Wilson Mainspring Housing
EGW Firing Pin
EGW Barrel bushing
EGW Plug
EGW Extractor
EGW FPS
EGW Ejector

11%2B-%2B1

Saturday I got up early and went over to my buddies house where he has a few tools I wanted to take advantage of.

The Frame/Slide/BBL were ready to go so I decided to start with the bushing and plug. After a great home cooked breakfast, one bloody finger and 6.5hr later I'd say 98% of the function fitting is complete! Just need to clean up some of the filing.

I plan to do all of the function fitting first on the entire gun and then go back for looks and feel. Of course the plug took no work so the entire day was spent on the bushing. So far so good!

EGW Bushing & Plug Install
11%2B-%2B1

11%2B-%2B2

Fusion makes some really nice matched slide/receiver sets and makes the build task easier. Keep us updated on your progress and any hurdles you come across. It should make you a fine CCW.

Not a lot to update but tonight I did fit the trigger to the frame. Every time I work on this I can't wait for the finished product!!:rofl:

20111108_171050.jpg

20111108_171112.jpg

20111108_170940.jpg

20111108_170919.jpg

I also had some help! One was more 'nosey' than the other.

20111108_170803.jpg

20111108_170813.jpg

Are you a gunsmith or is it pretty straightforward?

I've been thinking about a build for some time but
looks a little technical for a novice.

Are you a gunsmith or is it pretty straightforward?

I've been thinking about a build for some time but
looks a little technical for a novice.

Great overview...thanks for sharing!
Also...I echo the question from Tx

Sorry to be vague but I'd have to say no to both of those, haha! I'm neither a gunsmith nor is it straightforward in the least. Sadly if it was they would just make drop in parts that worked and looked as good as the custom fit ones. Lucky for us there are tons of sites, books, and people on a few forums that share their knowledge with us and make things manageable. If you are not a patient person DO NOT try to do any of this, haha!! If you are planning to build one down the road there are some books that are great, they show how everything works, what the tollerences are etc. I'd also highly suggest joining http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php as some of the top gunsmiths are on there and share their knowledge. The tough thing, as with anything on the internet, is trying to filter out the bad 'how-tos' from the good. Typically they are easy to spot, especially in the full builds.

If anyone has specific questions feel free to PM me, I'll be happy to try to answer anything or supply some of the sites that I use during my builds.

Sorry to be vague but I'd have to say no to both of those, haha! I'm neither a gunsmith nor is it straightforward in the least. Sadly if it was they would just make drop in parts that worked and looked as good as the custom fit ones. Lucky for us there are tons of sites, books, and people on a few forums that share their knowledge with us and make things manageable. If you are not a patient person DO NOT try to do any of this, haha!! If you are planning to build one down the road there are some books that are great, they show how everything works, what the tollerences are etc. I'd also highly suggest joining http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php as some of the top gunsmiths are on there and share their knowledge. The tough thing, as with anything on the internet, is trying to filter out the bad 'how-tos' from the good. Typically they are easy to spot, especially in the full builds.

If anyone has specific questions feel free to PM me, I'll be happy to try to answer anything or supply some of the sites that I use during my builds.
Thanks redefined.

Back
Top Bottom