• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Motherfu***r, just had my first negligent discharge in my office of all places....

It’s obvious now, but you didn’t actually clear your gun. If you’re clearing it, it’s not just racking the slide.

Lock the slide to the rear, visually verify the chamber is empty. Visually verify there is no magazine or alternative ammo source. If you felt like you did it out of habit while half paying attention,
or you aren’t 1000% sure it is empty, repeat the process until you’re sure. Glad no one was hurt.

Not trying to beat you over the head or relive it unnecessarily, more so trying to use this as a learning experience (which we all should.)

So I ask if you can clarify a little more exactly what type of manipulation of the pistol you did in-full prior to the ND?
The pistol was sitting in the drawer next to two empty clips. I pulled the rack back to make sure the chamber was clear. Nothing there. I must have missed the round about to be chambered. Thinking the weapon was empty I pulled the trigger to release the firing pin. I released it all right...

I know when I pulled the rack back it locked. I had to release it. I know at least one of the magazines was empty. The other? Maybe not so. Clearly the round came from somewhere. And I know I don't leave a chambered round - I don't have the experience or confidence to either carry or leave a firearm in that state.

I try when I rack the slide to look at barrell and mag to make sure.it’s easier said than done keep your fingers off the trigger unless you gonna shoot.glad no one was hurt.my daddy always said you will learn more from your mistakes than anyone can teach you.

Would keeping your pistol in a holster that covers the trigger be an option? A biometric safe would let you get to it relatively fast. (I'm just suggesting, I don't know your desk location in you house.) Glad you're OK.
No, because I was f'ing with it at the time. I fully admit to being lazy, complacent and careless. A holster or safe will not save you from stupid.

Happened to me once about 35 years ago. Decided there and then to have all my guns in condition 3 with loaded mag in gun and no round in chamber. Obviously won't work with a revolver so I keep those unloaded unless actually carrying them. I understand it might be a little slower to bring to being able to respond but it works for me as I feel more comfortable with it as I know that it's the way my guns are set up and recognize that I don't shoot enough to feel comfortable with a chambered round.

Back
Top Bottom