• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Model 70 finished and F'd up!!!!

I put the bolt under a bead blaster with barely any pressure and it removed the jeweling. I am going to have to polish the chrome when I get through with the bolt it is taking a darker color since being boiled with rusty parts. I plan on posting some pics this afternoon after I card everything. See how much time I have. I have to get some sleep for tonight.

So are pics after boil and card #3. I put a piece is stainless metal next to the parts for comparison so you will get an idea of the cold it has. The biggest thing I have learned with the 400 grit finish is to remember, the new finish will come out smoother and finer than 400 since all those fine parts are what is rusting and being carded away. The metal right now is shiny without oil.

I stopped the bluein process after five boils. I know it's not the recommended 7-10 but I REALLY like the cor of it now. It is a darker gun metal grey, almost black. Pulse I figure since it mine I can do what I want with it lol. Other thing being too I take pretty good care of my guns and if for some reason it gets wet and starts to rust all I have to do is throw it in some boiling water!!

I will post some pics tomorrow when I get it back together!!

Ok so something has gone WRONG!!!!! After boiling, carding and adding oil, I let the parts sit for 24 hours. Now the barrel and receiver has on a brownish color. WTF!!!!! So at this point debating my options. I spoke with another fellow that use to rust blue guns for a living and he said that some older guns have a higher nickel content in their metal. So when doing this 400 grit finish this can happen to some guns depending on metal qualities. So are some pics and the sight holes did not blue for whatever reason just inside and left a ring. The bolt and bottom metal turned out just fine.

I really can't tell you how to fix your problem but i can tell you it is a learning process what you are doing---don't give up and just keep learning----liking the posts on what your doing---so we are all learning by watching you--don't quit

This is third rust blue project and first screwed one I have done. Right now I am debating on blasting it and going with a matte finish like I did on my 35 Remington. The main reason for trying to achieve a fine finish on this rifle was due to the trigger guard and other piece of the floor plate assembly being shiny. Those parts were aluminum and unable to blue. I will think it over for a couple of days. I have also been talking to another member here about getting into some hot blueing .

Either way with the screw holes I am at least going to drill the holes and screws and weld over them and get a clean finish looking barrel before start it again.

Thanks for the encouragement!! But I don't give up easy.

Last edited:
loadnplenty,

PM sent. I think you hit the nail on the head in your pm and in the comment. Not enough cycles basically.

I know ya got a lot of time in it but prolly have to strip and start over.

Just in case though, a new thought....I wonder if its contamination from sandblasting?

When I sandblasted it I did not do a complete job, just enought to lighten up the color for a sanding with paper and chemical stripping to be done easier. If that makes sense. Sitting back looking at what I did different, the only thing I can think of is I did not change out the water before my last boil. And when I finished I could not see the parts at all in the tank.

And with the damp box I used it on the last rifle I rust blued in warmer weather with more humidity.

Okay. I've never sandblasted and then rust blued. But have done sandblasting with hot tank blue and we boiled the hell out of the gun parts at the smiths demand in water and dicroclean before blueing.

My conviction here is incomplete blueing....not enough time/trips thru the rust/boil/card cycle.

You might try to degrease thoroughly, rub like hell with 0000 steel wool and rust/boil more but I'm thinking for all the work that could be lost, I'd be inclined to do a full strip and run the gun 8 to 12 cycles of rust/boil/card.

Back
Top Bottom