• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Model 70 finished and F'd up!!!!

So here is pics of the metal about 90% finished sanding the action and other pieces. Just have some touch areas to finish off. Plan for tomorrow is to use a chemical blueing remover to get areas that I couldn't with sandpaper.

I left the bolt chrome. I used my buddies bead blaster and evened up the finished removing the jeweling. It almost has a stainless look to it now. Pics are cruddy as crap. For whatever reason no matter what light I used they came out dark.

I also sanded the floor plate which had a lot of scratches.

Here are the bolt and floor plate. With a 400 grit sand and rub down with steel wool I have learned not to expect a red rust bloom, but rather a fine reddish black rust.

Did the second carding today. And this the temp on my damp box when I woke up this morning. I am emptying a Dixie cup of water about every 18 hours with no moisture build up inside. The rifle is starting to take color. I will probably do about 8 more boils at a minimum to get a nose dark color. It is slow no go but that's ok.

Very nice to see you at it again. I guess I'm gonna have to find me a project to do again. But, yer gettin pretty darn good at this process and seems might be time for me to fade into the background. Keep at it, I like your work and yep, yer gettin good enough to make a buck or three.

Very nice to see you at it again. I guess I'm gonna have to find me a project to do again. But, yer gettin pretty darn good at this process and seems might be time for me to fade into the background. Keep at it, I like your work and yep, yer gettin good enough to make a buck or three.

When you do find another project be sure to post them. I love following along and learning new things from other members on here. And thanks, hopefully I won't worry you to death with questions like I did on my first two lol

It looks like you're coming along nicely. It may be a little late for it this time but you may want to add a couple of scotch brite pads to your stock of abrasives. They are very fine but more aggressive and longer lasting than steel wool and do remove a small amount of metal. I'm not sure if they will remove jeweling from a bolt I'm thinking they probably will. I know they will remove laser etching in short order.
Keep up the good work

Back
Top Bottom