• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Model 70 finished and F'd up!!!!

loadnplenty

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
197   0
Reaction score
So I picked up a Model 70 in 300 Win Mag awhile back. The stock was kind of rough and bluing was worn. But the rifle had an awesome bore and gun had zero rust. I looked for sights for awhile just to add them for appearance, but no used ones could be located.

So off to the next plan which was filling the old screw holes in the barrel. I used old steel screws from a scope base long since gone. I screwed the screws in as far as they would go and until the heads stripped with just a tad bit of loctite at the bottom. I then took a file and worked them down flush with the barrel.Right before they were flush I peened them with a small hammer to help flatten out the top and jam threads even more. The pic of the reciever with the screws hanging out is basicly what it started out looking like.

As you can see in the pics there is a very fine black ring around the hole but they are flush with no grab.They will go away with the sanding. These are some before pics before I start to really prep the metal. My plan is to do a 400 grit sand on all the metal to achieve a very fine finish. I did this 400 grit finish once already and I will have to go over the metal with Pilkingtons 2-3 times a day to a good rust with this fine surface. So here are the pics and I will update it as I go. Probably be next week before I post anymore pics.

Last edited:
Interesting, I love the model 70 series bolt guns. This is a nice project to watch unfold. Although from the fuzzy pic, I'd say you need some Lamisil tablets, about 3 months worth to clear up those toenails.:p

Last edited:
Enjoy your restoration threads, looking forward to following along.

Thanks, I enjoy playing with these type of things. Who knows one day I might actually be good enough to make a dollar doing it lol.

- - - Updated - - -

A model 70 in win mag. Looking forward to pics of a nice classic.

I am hoping it turns out well myself.

Interesting, I love the model 70 series bolt guns. This is a nice project to watch unfold. Although from the fuzzy pic, I'd say you need some Lamisil tablets, about 3 months worth to clear up those toenails.:p

It's toe nail polish, I forgot to take it off before I can home from work lol,JK

I plan rust blueing the rings and bases also. I still have to get a set of Leupold 2 piece bases. So if any of you have a used set I will gladly take them off your hands.

Back
Top Bottom