Milsurp Out of Battery discharge?

No bueno! I have a lovely scar in the crease of my right eye from an out of batt discharge. Mine was in a Gewehr 43 of all things. The primer appears to have been blown out, the feeding on the FN would have had the bolt face against the casing (going from memory here).

Without all things present I honestly believe you had a perfect storm. Primer defect causing discharged when the bolt face struck in cycling, or potentially a hot load. I would be interested in seeing the bolt face, and the brass to try to narrow it down. The other option, and opinion I believe already stated is commonly called pin "float" like taking rounds from an AR chambered during firing. The firing pin strikes the primer in cycling when the bolt closes in to battery, leaving a slight hit to the primer. The two piece firing pin on the FN very well could have set it off ( which is a worst case scenario) making the rifle possibly unsafe until its corrected.

Glad you are ok.

Let us know what you find out.

Have you checked any of the ammo in the same lot to see if any of the primers were protruding?

Case head seperation. If everything in the chamber and the headspace has truly been checked then the ammo is the culprit.

Last edited:
No bueno! I have a lovely scar in the crease of my right eye from an out of batt discharge. Mine was in a Gewehr 43 of all things. The primer appears to have been blown out, the feeding on the FN would have had the bolt face against the casing (going from memory here).

Without all things present I honestly believe you had a perfect storm. Primer defect causing discharged when the bolt face struck in cycling, or potentially a hot load. I would be interested in seeing the bolt face, and the brass to try to narrow it down. The other option, and opinion I believe already stated is commonly called pin "float" like taking rounds from an AR chambered during firing. The firing pin strikes the primer in cycling when the bolt closes in to battery, leaving a slight hit to the primer. The two piece firing pin on the FN very well could have set it off ( which is a worst case scenario) making the rifle possibly unsafe until its corrected.

Hey man, I'll drop it off to you this Saturday, along with the casing in the picture. I think i do have an extra firing pIn and spring from Numrich around here somewhere. I called a friend of mine who owns a few of these and his theory was that i may have had the gas setting too high, causing the rifle to begin to extract the casing before it discharged all the force from the round. It'll be great to see what you find....

Thanks friend, will do! Shrek's the man.....

Ps....im jealous of that mosin m38 you just picked up. just sayin........lol

Lol, thanks! I'm still pretty ecstatic about it myself, finally found it and at a very reasonable price to boot! Now I'm just waiting to see if it can bump the M.95 Steyr off the #1 Spot on my "Favorite Bolt-action carbine" list ;)

Did someone say M.95 Styer?

MAUSER 005.jpgMAUSER 013.jpgMAUSER 012.jpg

Back
Top Bottom